Menu

Painful throat and odd symptoms--help?

This morning I woke up with a headache and a sore throat--the left side of my throat and the glands on that side seemed swollen.

Mid-morning, I noticed the swelling seemed to be on the right side.

Now the swelling seems to have moved into the soft palate, making it uncomfortable to swallow. I have chills and feel queasy.

Headache and sore throat--I can handle.

But why would the swelling be MOVING AROUND?

?????

Thanks, everyone!

Guest Lorna

Sorry you aren't well Jean. I am just bumping this in case someone comes on who can help.

Put your feet up with one of your beautiful cats for company and drink lots of hot honey and lemon. :grouphug:

Sorry you aren't well Jean. I am just bumping this in case someone comes on who can help.

Put your feet up with one of your beautiful cats for company and drink lots of hot honey and lemon. :grouphug:

101. Yuck. Chills.

I don't feel like doing anything--I don't even feel like lying down!

Thanks, Lorna. You're sweet.

J'

Oh man. I hate when I feel that way. Is someone home to get you some chicken noodle soup? Can you sip on some tea with lemon and honey? Are you open to taking an Advil? Maybe getting comfortable enough so you can get some sleep will help?

(((hugs)))

Ya know, that sounds good. I'll send my ds to see if we have any in the basement.

:-) Thank you.

J

Poor Jean! Are you getting hit with the severe storms up there? Hope you do not have strep - always a possibility, with the symptoms you describe. Can anyone there peek at your throat with a flashlight???

What would strep look like? I'll try googling.I'm curled up in a chair with a blanket and my 'puter.

:-(

J

Oh--we did have some storms go past, but nothing that was serious here, thankfully.

I'd go get swabbed ASAP. It takes them a while to turn around a throat culture, and most docs won't prescribe antibiotics until it comes back positive, so the sooner you get swabbed the sooner you'll be able to start getting better if that's indeed what you have.

In our house DD has had strep with no sore throat, and I have had it without the appearance (swollen glands but no other visible throat stuff) so really the swabbing is the only thing that tells you for sure.

With non-strep colds that start with sore throats, I have had great success with sucking on zinc tablets about every 2 hours for 1-2 days, just letting the zinc wash down my throat. What that seems to do is to hold off the cold from really setting in before your natural defenses are up. Usually I end up with about 3 days of feeling like I have the tail end of a cold, but missing the initial misery. This only works if colds start in your throat (my DH's do not, for instance) AND if you start the zinc within about half a day of the onset of symptoms.

I fell asleep for a couple of hours, and of course I slept through the closing of the doctor's office. LOL! They have walk-in care at the hospital if I decide to go.

My chills are gone right now, and my fever is down--may be due to the Ibu. My dh was home today, so he went to pick up my dd from college so that I could sleep. Dd called and said she was sick, too--similar symptoms. I've not seen her since Monday morning--how long does strep take to incubate? My ds had something last weekend that might be the same, but it seems like a long time for us to be coming down with it.

Well, I'll see how I feel later.

You are all so great! Thank you!

how long does strep take to incubate? My ds had something last weekend that might be the same, but it seems like a long time for us to be coming down with it.

I researched the incubation period for you since you certainly don't feel up to it and I didn't know. According to the info on the net, it's two to five days from exposure to coming down with strep.

Feel better soon.