Menu

Discovery damage?

My 12yo *insisted* that some of the tiles came off of Discovery when it launched. I thought he was just seeing other debris, etc.

However, I just listened to an expert on the local news discussing (and showing on the video) where there was very possible damage on the undercarriage of the shuttle!:001_huh: If you remember, that is what caused the Columbia explosion upon re-entry.

I assured my ds that they would not bring another shuttle in without tiles because of what happened in the past. However, does anyone know what they *would* do? I want to reassure him that it will be okay, but he needs real details.

Any help?

If I remember correctly, they changed procedure where the orbiter does a 360 degree manouver so that the crew of the space station can do a visual inspection of the shuttle heat tiles. If they were to find damage, there is an emergency repair kit on board the shuttle. Also, they do a thorough high tech inspection pre-flight to assure that each tile is up to specifications.

My 12yo *insisted* that some of the tiles came off of Discovery when it launched. I thought he was just seeing other debris, etc.

I think I saw this, too. I have nothing reassuring to say, but I'm certainly not any sort of expert! This was actually the first shuttle launch I've watched (and my heart was in my throat the whole time!)

I'm glad to hear they have a repair kit now.

My children and I saw the insulation fly off too, and we knew it was insulation, but I didn't know about the tile before liftoff! Does anyone have a link for that?

ETA: Found one.

From article:

Video from the external tank also indicated that a one-and-a-half inch piece of tile may have broken from the nose landing gear door. Further analysis is needed to determine if this will be a problem for the mission.

"The radar guys are working very hard to see that piece of tile, if that's what it is, as it departs the vehicle," Shannon said. He added that the engineering team can look the tile with the shuttle's boom.

While it is unclear exactly what damage, if any, was done to the tile, Shannon does not expect it to be critical. Over the course of the next few days the area will be assessed and repair options, if necessary, will be discussed. The crew is prepared to make such a repair if needed.

Edited by WTMCassandra

Following the blog this afternoon, I thought it was interesting that scientists were investigating problems with at least one tile that fell off even before liftoff.

Lisa

This happened when some tape was removed as they were shutting the door, and repaired immediately.