Menu

Recommendations for a Latin program.....more

I need something that can be used by a very scared mommy:001_huh: I am really scared to teach Latin! Can I possibly do it? This will be for a 13, 12 and 9yo.

I have looked at Latiana Christiana and thought about using that in conjunction with their root program. (forgot what it was called?? root power??)

Then, I saw Lively Latin. I really like the Christian aspect of LC. What else is out there

Thanks... I am scared :001_unsure: :scared:

with the DVD's. In fact, for my just-turned 13 yo it's self teaching. I supplement it heavily with the free worksheets and quizzes (and answers) available at their web site. AllI do is grade.

If you buy it used, look for the new DVD's that came out last spring. The old ones were fine, but were more along the lines of read the book and answer questions.

Another vote for Latin for Children. You don't have to teach it at all. Just pop in the DVD and learn with your children. Everyone in the house will be chanting in Latin after the first couple weeks. It's been very fun for us and even my 3 year old knows some of the chants.

Blessings,

We have just begun Prima Latina. My girls (ages 8 and 10) and I are having a good time so far (Lesson 5.) I was very very afraid of teaching Latinscared001.gif, but I am now enjoying it.happy119.gif

It is the one subject that we are learning together. I was up-front with them from the beginning that I was clueless when It came to Latin and why I think it would be good for them to study it. Of course, they are picking it up more quickly then I am. I think that is where the fun is coming into the lesson.

If given a chance to choose, my girls would pick Prima Latina to start the school day.

I hope you will find a curriculum you like.

Gretchen

Coming from someone who completely flunked out of Spanish in high school, foreign languages were NOT my strength! I'm not a stupid person, here. I have a masters degree and several professional licenses that required lots of classes and professional tests. But foreign languages could bring me to my knees crying like a baby!

When my ds was in 2nd grade, I saw PL. It is designed for K-3rd grade. I reasoned that if a 3rd grader could learn this, so could I! So we took it slow! I learned right along with him. I didn't move ahead until it was completely understood by both of us. (I just couldn't find the time to be one step ahead of him, but it hasn't hurt at all.) Honestly, if you have a working knowledge of English, it will help with Latin. You will be able to look at the derivatives and easily remember the latin word.

What helped me were two things. 1. Practice every day for only 10-15 minutes. Then it doesn't get overbearing. 2. Move at a pace that works for you. No need to move ahead if it's not in the brain yet. Keep working at it, then move ahead. If you figure that it's better to get through fewer courses, but REALLY know what you have done, you are better off. Eventually, you hit a stride and are able to pick up the pace.

This worked so well for us, that we are now tackling GREEK! Yikes! Now THAT is different!

Hope this helps!