Menu

Please share your school rules,

A few of my dc will try to sneak to an assigment, under my radar because I'm busy on a lesson with a different dc, do it (sort of), and proclaim victory in being done...move on to the next thing, and so on...all the while doing poor work, or not REALLY finishing, or not really understanding the assignment because it was done on their own limited understanding. All of this has resulted in the need for me to be on my "A" game in follow through in areas that I hate to have to deal with in the first place. It is not fun to feel manipulated by your own children. It is not easy to be constantly consistant in this way, but it really pays off and makes for a much more peaceful school day.

First of all, we start at 8am...dressed and fed. I have instituted that all assignments have to be turned in to me immediately to verify completetion and tidyness. From there I may wait untill later to correct it, but it has to be done to completion before moving on. Also, we have had to institute for the older dc that grammar, writing, and math have to have an oral lesson or discussion before beginning the assignment, even if it's very brief. That way I know that they understand the lesson/assignment and don't really have an excuse for not doing good work. It makes for a little longer of a day...but they need the accountability or things spiral out of control quickly. This isn't easy with 4 dc...but doable. Their success in completing an assignment WELL is worth the extra effort in holding to the rules. My advise is to not give them access to their assigments until YOU are ready, and assign them scheduled times for the subjects YOU want to spend time with them on. You will feel so much better once you bring your day under your control instead of theirs. Best wishes in ironing out a new schedule. Hang in there.:grouphug:

especially those juggling multiple kids at once.

Today's been horrid. My guys are in 5th, 3rd, and 1st. I pull out the next days as they complete a lesson so we're ready to go the next day. My oldest two will take it upon themselves to work on it, either that day or early the next morning, I'm talking 5 or 6 a.m.. I refuse to start school before 8. So when I get to my desk they my in box is overflowing and they are grumbling I'm holding them up. My stress level trying to juggle three (with SN's) just toppled this a.m.. There are subjects I need and want to do with them so they get the most out of it, while I appreciate them wanting to work ahead, it's not about being done. There are some subjects in which I don't mind them working ahead, but others where I want to clarify or expand on directions or see them do a few before they run with.

I am completely frustrated, sent my oldest out to shovel the driveway and younger two to shovel the back porch and pick up dog doo while I clear my head. Things have got to change, they don't run our school. If they are going to do work independently, it has to be done to the BEST of their abilities, not in a get it done manner.

I'm not rewarding them with a day off to play after this, which is what they want. Nor do I want to spend all afternoon butting heads. I'm getting everyone some lunch, then will check back with ya'll. We NEED more structure.

Any comments?

I would work really hard to reward that initiative. It is a great trait, even if it is driving you crazy right now. I understand what you are saying, but I wouldn't punish it. Even if their goal is simply to get "done"--wow. So many kids/adults aren't that motivated.

I don't know if a weekly system would work for your family--in which, say, your kids could earn Friday off if they complete a week's worth of work by then. You could specify by a * on something if they need to meet with you before proceeding. Perhaps, you could, before they go to bed, go over stuff that they could then wake up early and do the next morning before you get up. Then they have some "no mom" assignments for the time between the time they are done and the time you want to start (or have them do chores or get some free time).

Since your kids are motivated by taking responsibility, I'd give it to them as much as possible and involve them in the planning as much as possible. Congratulations on having raised 3 guys with this awesome character trait!

When I had multiple children, I scheduled time at the end of every day for check out and revisions, and they had to sit there while I went through the work. In addition, we have always cleared the school table at the end of the day, and I don't lay out work. There is a shelf for each student. They go to the shelf to get the materials for the first subject when school starts. They do the work and check it off their planner, and return the materials to the shelf. They continue working through their planner to the end of the day and time for check out. You can highlight work that needs input from Mom before moving on. Another option is an outbox for each student. You check the work and put the work in their outbox with suggestions for corrections. They need to make the corrections and return to your inbox. This works well for independent materials.

I would reward my children for taking the initiative and doing work unprompted ahead of schedule. It sounds to me as if your children would like to be more independent. So if those were my kids, I would try to structure their work and assignments in such a way that they can do as much as possible without parental involvement. Maybe you can change something about your assignments so that they do NOT have to wait for your extra directions.

I see several possible solutions:

1. You could formulate the assignments in such a way that no further clarification or explanation is needed.

2. You could go over new problems together at the END of the school day and have them begin the day with independent practice of the stuff that you explained the previous day.

3. They could have assigned reading to start the day (which is not something you would have to explain)

I would, however, never punish a child who wanted to do school at 6am!

My kids are very independent. My 6th grader loves working on his own; the only thing we do with him is math.Btw, I definitely consider my children to be in charge of their education, so in some sense, yes, THEY run the school and I think it's a good thing.

It sounds to me like we do home schooling very differently. It may be because I have one child. One thing I don't allow is sloppy work. If it's sloppy or a lot of it is incorrect it gets done over. For example, math is done five days a week. One day a week is dedicated to corrections. If my daughter has made few mistakes, there is less time spent on math. If she rushed through it and got a lot wrong, she spends a lot of time doing the work correctly. I like having the reward be a direct result of her efforts.

I didn't read all of the responses so I may be repeating advice, but the first thing that crossed my mind when I read your post was to reward that "get up and get it done" attitude with play time. HOWEVER, I would have them work on chores\tasks early in the morning. That way they may be more mellow by 8 when you are ready to do school and when the school work is finished they can go straight to playing instead of having to do those chores.

I only let my dc work ahead in subjects that don't require my attention...which aren't that many. Dd13 can work at her own pace in math, because she honestly just doesn't need me, and she works at her own pace in grammar. Dd8 can work ahead in reading (on the computer) and penmanship, and then they all can work ahead on their interest projects. That's really about it. Dd11 has tried to get me to let her work ahead in her subjects but they never get done properly or she doesn't retain anything from the work without having had a discussion about it. So, I just don't give her her assignments until the morning.

I am reading this thread and trying to figure out how I feel about this...My boys do similiar things like trying to work ahead and grabbing the next days work if they have access to it...It has also bothered me as well...My boys that are schooling are 10 and 6...My 6 year old would complete the entire chapter of MM in a day if I let him, always asking for more math sheets...My 10 year old just wants a shorter school day so he can go and play, so he tries to get done as fast as he can...

I have read reponses that this is a good thing, and I will ponder these things...

To Michele who originally posted :grouphug:...I am not sure now what to do...I asked them not to work ahead and only to complete the days work...

I think that the workbox system would be perfect for you.

You can load it the night before.

In each box, is their assignment for the day.

If it something that you want/need to work with them, you put a note in the box saying "DO WITH MOM ONLY!"

If it is something that you do not mind them working ahead, then no note, or a specific conversation saying "it is okay if you work ahead on this subject IF you do it right and do it with your best effort". I would also implement the rule if I see repeated sloppy work/wrong answers, then they would no longer be allowed to work ahead.

I am not talking implementing the ENTIRE workbox system....actually I don't think anyone does that.

But the physical, work in a box/drawer so they can see what their assignment is for that day. Only put in what they are to do that day. If is a workbook type thing where you can not take out individual assignments, then a written assignment sheet goes in the box: "Read pages 10-15, then do worksheet pg 16". One box for each subject. We use 10 box rolling carts here.

If you want to slow their day down, in the a.m., when you are still sleeping, use the first few workboxes to either put in chores, or "schoolwork" that is "busy type work but might take a while", type stuff. Or a book with a note that says "Read for 45 minutes".

In the case of sloppy work/wrong answers, I have had that here. A few times, of me erasing ALL of the work, and making my son Re-DO it ALL solved that problem. It was not news to him. I had asked repeatedly for the work to be done neater/handwriting clearer. I had warned that if it continued, he would be redoing it. I have a son, DS12, who is ALL about getting his school work done, so he can move on with his day. It was a rough day that first time I had to erase all of his work, while he watched and make him redo it. It was a rough day the next week, when we had to do that again. But we have had not had an issue since!

ps. If you implement the workbox system, it does not have to be a punishment for them but slant it like something fun that we are going to do, which will help them be able to work ahead on certain subjects. They will be excited about it! You may have to "train" them on it for a week or so, so they understand what you expect and are allowing and what you are not. But since you already take the time each night to get their work ready, the workboxes will not be that much different for you. But it may be just the "visual" they need to see to understand what their assignment is for the day.

Edited by Samiam

.My 6 year old would complete the entire chapter of MM in a day if I let him, always asking for more math sheets.

More power to him. I would not refuse a kid who is on a math binge ;-)

One thing to ponder is whether the work is too easy for him and the worksheets just busy work. He may slow down once he is really challenged and has to work harder.

I just have one, so ignore my response if you'd like! :) I give my son a list of things he can do alone every day. He checks them off as he completes them. Then, we check all his work. I am close by to answer any questions, especially in math. Nothing fun is done before school is completely finished. If I am not able to check his work right away, then he can start chores until I'm available. All work must be correct and neat, or he has to redo it. If we have a "difficult" day due to noncompliance, then he can't play video games or anything similar.

You know it's funny, I keep hearing all these stories of not being able to drag kids out of bed. I still am waiting to find out what that is like. I think I gave birth to three roosters. I don't need an alarm clock.

The problem is, I'm not a morning person. I need to open my eyes, get some breakfast and caffeine, a nice hot shower, then I can function.

I'm not a morning person either, but my son is. I have his list ready for the next morning. He can start school whenever he is ready and not have to worry about waiting on me to figure out who I am.:001_smile:

Self-initiative behavior should be rewarded indeed...indeed. However, I might be a bit skeptical about the quality of work if my kids were flying through the workbook at warp speed...if you have confidence in the fact that quality work is being done...count yourself extremely blessed. It would be a dream come true to wake up each morning to have my dc nearly finished with their work, and done well. Once you have gathered yourself for the day, you can do the corrections, review the next lesson, then they'd be all ready to conquer the next morning. If any rules need to be set...maybe it's just that they aren't to demand your attention for seatwork before a certain time, but if they get it done without you...cool.