Menu

Science Shepherd Biology - questions

I was searching the board for biology text recommendations and saw that some of you are using this text - Science Shepherd Biology. Since it is new to the homeschool market, I have some questions.

Cathy Duffy gives it a good review calling it more rigorous than the established homeschool biology texts (although she doesn't name those), but I saw a poor review of it on the CBD site. That review stated that there are a lot of errors in the material. Unfortunately the reviewer did not specify those errors. So, have you come across errors in the text, tests, or lab book? If so, how would you categorize those errors (typos, content, etc.)?

I know that just about every text will have some error/typo but it is so distracting when it occurs in every lesson.

How are the lab supplies? I have been disappointed in the past with specimens we purchased for Apologia biology in our co-op - many of the specimens were squished and unusable.

If you've used this course or previewed it, I would love to know your opinion. Thanks.

Dd is just finishing Chapter 15 of SS and we have not had any problems so far. I'm using another lab, so I cannot address any problems there. Have you talked to RR? They have a very thorough review on their website and their curriculum advisers answered quite a few for me prior to my purchasing SS

• 1 month later...
Dd is just finishing Chapter 15 of SS and we have not had any problems so far. I'm using another lab, so I cannot address any problems there. Have you talked to RR? They have a very thorough review on their website and their curriculum advisers answered quite a few for me prior to my purchasing SS

Would you mind sharing why you are using another lab? The Science Shepherd DVD, that demonstrates the labs, is a strong selling feature for me.

• 1 month later...

Holly, will you tell us what other lab you are doing with Science Shepherd and why?