Menu

Need alternative to 'boring' Singapore PM1--RightStart or something else?

Jen500

Ds6 loves math but says SM1A is is boring. My older dc did SM2-6, so this is my first time using the grade 1 materials. I'm not sure what the problem is..I think he prefers games/activities/interacting with me, hates the textbook, and is ok with some worksheets. I've been using Kitchen Table Math and playing a lot of games with him, but I need something more laid out for me or I don't always get to math with him.

Would RightStart be a better fit? Can I go from RS level B into SM2? Are the lessons really wordy like the game book? :tongue_smilie: How heavy is it on the abacus use? And is the RightStart website the only place to buy the Lesson book? RR says it is unavailable. I already have almost every manipulative.

Or, I'm open to any other suggestions.

Are you using the Singapore HIG? My last, most wiggly first grader liked math better when we added in some of the activities in the HIG...using manipulatives, counters, the white board, etc. Singapore is such a solid program, it is easy to add in some games and spice it up a bit. That would be my choice.

I am using RS A with my DD5. You should be able to buy just the book without all of the manipulatives, but you NEED the AL abacus to use RS...not just any abacus will do! (It is based on 5s and 10s and helps kids visualize the math.) It is teacher-intensive, as far as presenting the lessons, but there is almost no prep. I read a week's worth of lessons beforehand, but that's about it. There are very few worksheets, which I like, but I do have to do the whole lesson with her. I also have RS B all set for next year, and you could probably go into that, because there is lots of review in the beginning of B which covers how to use the abacus, etc.

The abacus is essential, and like another poster said it is important to have one that has the different colors, because it works on visualizing quantities using those colors (7 is 5 +2-5 blue beads and 2 yellow). The place value cards are another unusual item I would consider essential. You can use any tiles at the B level. Later in C they are used for measuring perimeter and seeing area, so any 1' tiles will work there. Hmmmmm....I assume you have base 10 blocks. Realize that if you don't have the RS cards that you will have to modify in places because RS Does work with several thousands and most block sets only have one thousand. Right now that is all that is coming to mind as essential.

I do find the lessons are generally easier to read than the games, no not always, but usually.

RR used to carry the individual components, but now they only carry the sets. I don't know of anywhere else that carries just the manuals other than RS, or buying used.

Heather

Ds6 loves math but says SM1A is is boring. My older dc did SM2-6, so this is my first time using the grade 1 materials. I'm not sure what the problem is..I think he prefers games/activities/interacting with me, hates the textbook, and is ok with some worksheets. I've been using Kitchen Table Math and playing a lot of games with him, but I need something more laid out for me or I don't always get to math with him.

Would RightStart be a better fit? Can I go from RS level B into SM2? Are the lessons really wordy like the game book? :tongue_smilie: How heavy is it on the abacus use? And is the RightStart website the only place to buy the Lesson book? RR says it is unavailable. I already have almost every manipulative.

Or, I'm open to any other suggestions.

Perhaps he thinks it is boring because he is more advanced than what the material provides. My 4YO has flown through over half of it in a month and a half, and both I and my friends who use it are blown away that kindergartners don't know this material before stepping foot into a school. That is why my initial thought is that a 6YO might find such material completely elementary to him.

Another possibility is using a manipulative approach by performing the activities suggested in the teacher manual (priceless) and doing only the textbook pages you find completely necessary.

ETA: Reading fail on my part! I overlooked the "1" and thought you meant the Kindy level. Apologies.

Edited by arghmatey
Careless reading on my part!