Menu

When to use which (cooking oils)

We've stopped using shortening for cooking (except to grease our pizza pan, nothing else seems to prevent sticking). So, now we use primarily 100% canola oil and sometimes butter. DH has mentioned wanting to start using olive oil but I must admit that I don't know when I can use it. I seem to remember reading that you can't use it to fry because the temp is too high.

So, when do you use what (shortening, butter, canola, olive, etc):

1. in recipes that call for oil

2. a dab in the skillet to prevent sticking

3. a layer in the skillet for southern frying

4. to grease pans for baking

5. what else?

Thanks!

Pegasus

We've stopped using shortening for cooking (except to grease our pizza pan, nothing else seems to prevent sticking). So, now we use primarily 100% canola oil and sometimes butter. DH has mentioned wanting to start using olive oil but I must admit that I don't know when I can use it. I seem to remember reading that you can't use it to fry because the temp is too high.

So, when do you use what (shortening, butter, canola, olive, etc):

1. in recipes that call for oil olive, light if it's a delicate flavored recipe

2. a dab in the skillet to prevent sticking depends on what I'm cooking; sometimes olive, sometimes butter, sometimes a mix of both, unless it's at a high temp (see below)

3. a layer in the skillet for southern frying I don't do this type of cooking, but if I were doing fried chicken or something similar, I'd probably use grapeseed because it can withstand high temps

4. to grease pans for baking butter or a Pam spray

5. what else?

Thanks!

Pegasus

I use olive and grapeseed exclusively; the grapeseed being used only when I'm sauteeing or searing. Otherwise I use olive. I've heard bad things about canola so I've stopped using it, although honestly, I've forgotten the specifics on why it's bad. You could Google for details.

I use olive oil only for cooking. Works fine for anything in a pan. I use it for greasing baking pans if I bake savory stuff.

For baking bread or cake and greasing respective baking pans, I use butter.

This is exactly what I do. I do some vegan baking for friends and substitute coconut oil for butter then.