Menu

Need a hit-it-out-of-the-park read-aloud to end the year! (Something modern?)

AmyCC

The second of my three daughters is headed to high school in the fall, so this will probably be our last read-aloud book together. (Sad face.)

I'd like to finish up the year with a great read-aloud that's unrelated to any of the history cycles we've done. Maybe something modern? Anyone have any ideas? (My girls at home are 12 and 14 yos.)

a million books come to mind, but we could use more input! What have been some past favorites? Here's an eclectic mix of suggestions --

Pride & Prejudice

Princess Bride

To Kill a Mockingbird

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie (David Lubar)

No More Dead Dogs (Gordon Korman - This and the previous one have teenage male protagonists, but they are very, very funny. And sweet.)

Hatful of Sky (Not a typical Terry Pratchett book. Great story, but you have to be okay with the fact that Tiffany is a witch...)

And I second The Penderwicks.

When you say modern, do you mean historical, but in a modern setting? Or just something written in the past few years?

A last read aloud. Ackkk! What a horribly sad thing to contemplate.

Maura

Do you need it to be from at least the 20th century? This can be hard because so many "modern" books for the high school lever contain inappropriate material. Maybe if you tell us what modern books you have already enjoyed, we could go from there.

How about one of James Herriot's books? We are reading through his books aloud, and some of the stories will break your heart (if you're an animal lover), while others will have you laughing 'til the tears run down your face.

(FWIW, I do edit the language.)

Modern meaning something that's been written recently. We've covered so many read-alouds over the years (wonderful read-alouds!) related to our history cycle.

I'd love for our last read-aloud to have a girl as the main character. (Seems like we've read a lot of "boy" books this year.)

Frankly, we steer away from most modern books just because I don't have the time to research how appropriate they are. But I'd love a good recommendation if you've read any good children's lit that's been written in the last several years.

Last read aloud. It is a horrible thought! I don't like it one bit. It's sad that our read-aloud days are coming to an end.

I guess I mean books that were written recently, only because we've covered so many great read-alouds that coordinate with our history cycle. I was just wondering if there might be something written in the last few years that would qualify as a "gem".

The Thief Lord

I've read this outloud and then listened to the audio and daydreamed about Venice.

And my FAVORITE BOOK to read aloud is Boy and Flying Solo (they are the biographies of Raul Dahl . My 16 year old told me the other day that he re-reads those at least once a year. :001_smile:

"An Old Fashioned Girl" by Louisa May Alcott--IMO this is the most underappreciated of her work. I think that this is because it is really two books, smushed together, and the first one is a little more juvenile than "Little Women" is. Since LW is the typical first LMA book people read, maybe they start this one and stop short. Anyway, it is an excellent view of the mid 1800s, and it looks from a lot of perspectives--the rich, the working class, the very poor (working and non-working). Woven into the story are a surprisingly modern set of different life paths for the young women of the story. Although it is clear that LMA believes that it is necessary to choose between career and family, she honors both choices; and honor friendships as well as love relationships. It is very interesting to read this book knowing what turbulent times those were, and to consider what messages it sent at the time vs. now.

"The Diamond in the Window" -- I don't know why this book is not more popular. It is set in Concord, MA, during the 1950's or 60's. It refers to a lot of the history of great ideas from that area--the Trancendentalists, and other writers come up over and over, and there are experiences that the main characters have that elucidate these ideas. So in a fairly subtle way, a principle or belief is introduced, and then the children see it amplified in a way that would ruin the story if I told you. So I won't. Yet the book is not at all preachy; it is engagingly written and very funny and noble in places. Lots to talk about if you read through it slowly, looking for the 'texts' and 'sermons' that are inherent in it; but it also works as a fun, quick read with an adventure story component to it.

If you're looking for something that isn't fantasy (the genre my girls love the most), then Monsoon Summer would be my pick. All three of my girls loved this story.

Monsoon Summer - about a 15yo girl whose family moves to India for the summer to help set up a clinic at the orphanage where the girl's mother was raised until she was adopted by an American couple

http://www.mitaliperkins.com/monsoonsummer.htm