Menu

Bush homeschooling - Advice?

I've got to start wrapping my brain around this possibility, even if it's likely more than 2 years out.

What is your advice as btdt (or heard a lot about it) hschoolers re: homeschooling as an expat in a third-world-country?

I've been near this place before (It's in Eastern Africa) - we lived around there for 2 years when I was pregnant with dd-now-7 and after she was born. But I have no experience with thinking through hschooling over there. Here (USA) I'm so dependent on the local public library and I know there's not much chance of doing that there - at least that's what my experience tells me.

I've always steered clear of boxed curriculum, but would that be best? What about supplies? Is WTM-style (we've stuck pretty close to it thus far and I love it!) even very practical?

So many questions, so many possiblities . . . Sometimes I'd like to slap the blessed Stephen Curtis Chapman for coming up with that song, "Life Is a Great Adventure!" :tongue_smilie:

TIA!

Mama Anna

Depending on your religious belief, Sonlight seems like the obvious choice.

http://www.sonlight.com/

Thanks for the suggestion! I have no problem with the religious belief angle, but the prices they quote on that website - ouch!! And dd7 is presently at about 3 levels in her subjects, dd4 is likely to be at at least 2, and who knows about dd17mos. Can Sonlight be done in such a situation (3 kids, many levels) for under $1000 a year?

(You gals/guys would know!:D)

Mama Anna

Hi, what about CLE. www.clp.org I used their entire curriculum one year when we were living in an RV. We didn't have a lot of space and we didn't have a lot of money. The curriculum is excellent and very thorough. Every subject is just workbooks (and reading has a reader). It's very short and to the point. Each workbook is $3.20.

I always say if we're going to have a really bad year, I'm just using CLE for everyone.

I've got to start wrapping my brain around this possibility, even if it's likely more than 2 years out.

What is your advice as btdt (or heard a lot about it) hschoolers re: homeschooling as an expat in a third-world-country?

I've been near this place before (It's in Eastern Africa) - we lived around there for 2 years when I was pregnant with dd-now-7 and after she was born. But I have no experience with thinking through hschooling over there. Here (USA) I'm so dependent on the local public library and I know there's not much chance of doing that there - at least that's what my experience tells me.

I've always steered clear of boxed curriculum, but would that be best? What about supplies? Is WTM-style (we've stuck pretty close to it thus far and I love it!) even very practical?

So many questions, so many possiblities . . . Sometimes I'd like to slap the blessed Stephen Curtis Chapman for coming up with that song, "Life Is a Great Adventure!" :tongue_smilie:

TIA!

Mama Anna

I'm currently homeschooling in a 3rd world country and it's not impossible to do it. We don't have a library or access to one. It takes a LOT of planning ahead as far as ordering curriculum--I don't used boxed curriculum either--and getting it sent to my parents who then can send it on with someone coming this way or, if we happen to be heading to the US, we can pick up when we get there. We haven't been to the US since 2009 and I don't know if we'll be heading back there again anytime soon so it takes, like I said, planning.

Here's how we get stuff to us--

1) If we hear of someone traveling our way, we try to send stuff to them.

2) If a missions team comes down we try to get it all to them since there's a lot of them and they have more luggage space.

3) There is the occasional time when someone is going back to the US and will bring a few things for us when they return.

I order in about February for the next year and plan out when I'm going to need the new things so that I can let my mom know what I need so she can send it out to the person willing to carry it.

I would also invest in a Kindle or two. We use ours for downloading books the kids need to read. Also, we use a lot of online things when we need to.

We're actually in a great routine right now and it helps me to have done it for about 6 years so it's the new normal!

Where will you be? What are you doing there?

Thanks for the suggestion! I have no problem with the religious belief angle, but the prices they quote on that website - ouch!! And dd7 is presently at about 3 levels in her subjects, dd4 is likely to be at at least 2, and who knows about dd17mos. Can Sonlight be done in such a situation (3 kids, many levels) for under $1000 a year?

(You gals/guys would know!:D)

Mama Anna

I don't do sonlight but I try to follow Ambleside Online and there's a lot of books. Again, planning ahead helps a lot--if you know what you want to do, start looking ahead for sales on used boards, thrift stores and garage sales for the books, etc. Also, I do 3 kids on many levels and there are just staples in our curriculum (Apologia science, Teaching Textbooks math) that can be used for all 3 kids. Also, I do it for well under $1000 per year for all 3. I have to. Any more isn't in the budget.

Also, Kindle! I'm not kidding--helps us out a TON.

Here's how we get stuff to us--

1) If we hear of someone traveling our way, we try to send stuff to them.

2) If a missions team comes down we try to get it all to them since there's a lot of them and they have more luggage space.

3) There is the occasional time when someone is going back to the US and will bring a few things for us when they return.

I order in about February for the next year and plan out when I'm going to need the new things so that I can let my mom know what I need so she can send it out to the person willing to carry it.

I would also invest in a Kindle or two. We use ours for downloading books the kids need to read. Also, we use a lot of online things when we need to.

We're actually in a great routine right now and it helps me to have done it for about 6 years so it's the new normal!

Where will you be? What are you doing there?

Thanks for the suggestions, Dayle! I'm familiar with some of the ways of getting stuff out to the field because of our prior experience. I hadn't thought of an e-book reader. Dd7 would definitely be able to benefit from one of those by that time - dd4, too, possibly.

I have no problem with the planning ahead - I get a charge out of detailed planning. It's just the thought of either losing so many supporting books that we presently get out of the library or else buying most of them. The space?!? The transportation whenever we move?!? And, of course, the cost!

Theoretically, (this is still early enough in the planning stages that nothing is certain) we'd be in Uganda or Tanzania. Dh would be doing Bible Translation while I might be doing a bit of ethnomusicology.

Starrbuck12, thanks for the suggestion of CLE - I've heard good things about it and I know I could do such a thing if I had to. But I'd rather stay away from a completely workbook oriented approach for the long term (5 years or more) if I could avoid it.

Thanks! (Still mulling things over . . .)

Mama Anna

My very close friend has been in East Africa for the last three years. They are home on furlough now. She chose to go with Tapestry of Grace. When they departed she had a 12yo, 7yo, and 6yo. She chose TOG because it taught all the ages. She spent weeks planning (she's very good at that) months before they left and bought the books she would need for the next three years. It was a big expense but the security of knowing that she had it planned out and available was very important for her. If I remember correctly, she also bought science experiment supplies and regular supplies to have on hand. All of this went into their container that was shipped over. For any of the subjects not related to TOG, she took what she had/could. I do know that if she has to order anything while on the field, she usually sends it to her MIL and her MIL will send it in a box to her. I think she said it's cheaper that way. She is 8 hours from a main city and resources are very limited where she's at.

Also, Kindle! I'm not kidding--helps us out a TON.

My friend LOVE her Kindle!

Theoretically, (this is still early enough in the planning stages that nothing is certain) we'd be in Uganda or Tanzania. Dh would be doing Bible Translation while I might be doing a bit of ethnomusicology.

Mama Anna

My friend and her family did language school in Tanzania.

Been there, done that, and doing it again right now. We're WTM homeschoolers in Kyrgyzstan right now. I'm not a big fan of boxed curricula either, nor can we afford to ship anything. We just take what we can take on the plane, which isn't much. And there are no books in English available here in stores, much less in a library.

What we did this time was to scan almost our entirely library of books, and now we homeschool off ereaders. It's working wonderfully even though it was a tremendous amount of work to scan everything. We ended up scanning 650 books, and those books would have cost a fortune to keep shipping to different places. It has been such a relief to be able to take our books with us.

We can also download lots of curricula (Peace Hill Press is especially convenient because you can download all of their stuff) and plenty of free, public domain books. We also still have access to our public library in the US and download ebooks from there regularly.

Ereaders have literally changed our lives with living overseas. It is so much better now.

We weren't in a developing country, but we were in a non-English speaking country with no culture of public libraries.

Does Book Depository deliver to the country in question? That helps a lot. Is there an international school nearby? Could you contact the school (go right to the top) and see if you could arrange access to their library? If there is an expat community you will probably find a second hand bookstore of English books.

We afterschooled WTM-style without access to a library - I think it's definitely do-able in the early years at least, provided you are able to build up a solid personal library and have reliable Internet access. Without those, it might be easier to go with a complete programme-in-a-box. Either way, planning will make a huge difference - shipping costs will be high (except with my beloved Book Depository), and bringing books from home, or having friends bring them for you will save you tons. Shipping times can also be very long, and postal services can be unreliable.

Nikki

I lived in Uganda. Loved it.

would you be out of the main cities then?

We lived in Kampala. There is missionary school there that allowed hsers to use things there. That was nice.

We use SL. our org though allowed us to raise enough money to educate the children. I would also consider that as a major factor in raising support. If some time you have to send them to a boarding school or any school it would certainly be more that $1,000 a year.

anyway. We did take quite a few books with us. I ended up selling quite a bit when we left.

SL is not grade leveled the way other programs are so one core program would fit a variety of ages. Same with most of the sciences too. Math is up to you. Their LA will do the same but I haven't used thier LA in a long time.

The good thing about SL for you would be that it is all laid out. You would have the things you needed without looking for them. It is useable for a spread of ages for the most part. It is reusable for your younger children with out much upgrading cost if any. AND also resellable and I know word spread when we left that I had SL cores to sell.

I don't see why you couldn't use something which required a lot of books. If you have two years notice, you could start now to collect the books you'll need. If you can get them at good prices used, then you could ship them over when you leave, and then just donate them to a school or library there. You'd be helping out a lot of kids. :)

For regular textbooks and all, I'd be inclined to wait until closer to the time you go since you don't know for sure what level they'll be on or whether you'll switch curricula before you go. But I'd buy all the curricula you'd need before leaving so you won't have individual shipping costs and can just ship all the books at once.

Sounds like an awesome adventure!!! :)

Wow! So much good stuff!

Angel, I've thought about TOG. It would definitely be the type of thing to get comfortable with stateside instead of just pack it all up, ship it out, and try to figure it out while dealing with culture-shock, kids in a new culture, and everything else! I'd want to start it early.

Amira, you made my jaw drop! Whew, that would be a year-long project! Yet to have an entire home library in electronic form - that could be incredibly convenient. Does an ereader work with picture books or only text-oriented ones? Do you have to use special software to scan books into one or will any scanning printer work? How about copyrights?

nd293, I'm not sure about an International School because I'm not sure where we'd be. I know there are International Schools in both Kampala and Dar (as well as Nairobi) because we've visited each of those cities. I guess it would make sense for them to be willing to open their libraries when possible since the ex-pat community tends to do such things.

ZooRho, thanks for more info on Sonlight! I guess it would be one of those build-up-to-it things, too.

Thanks for your suggestions, Teachin'Mine!

I love that I can ask such a "far out" question on this forum and get solid suggestions!! :D

Mama Anna

Amira, you made my jaw drop! Whew, that would be a year-long project! Yet to have an entire home library in electronic form - that could be incredibly convenient. Does an ereader work with picture books or only text-oriented ones? Do you have to use special software to scan books into one or will any scanning printer work? How about copyrights?

We got an iPad for the books with lots of pictures because it has a large screen and displays color well. We also have a Kindle DX for text-based books that require the formatting to stay the same, like math books (it's very difficult to read an 8.5x11 page on a 6-inch reader if you can't change the formatting). We could have skipped the DX if we'd only had one child who'd needed a larger-screen reader though. And we have lots of regular-sized Sony Readers everyday reading. You need lots of readers if your library is digital.

Here's a post describing how I scanned all our books. As for copyrights, it is legal to change the format of a book you purchased. Scanning your books and then selling them wouldn't be so cool, nor should you scan library books (although there are arguments that you can for educational purposes) but it's completely fine to scan your own books. We only scanned books that weren't available digitally already, and we bought used books to scan if we didn't already own what we needed.

We got an iPad for the books with lots of pictures because it has a large screen and displays color well. We also have a Kindle DX for text-based books that require the formatting to stay the same, like math books (it's very difficult to read an 8.5x11 page on a 6-inch reader if you can't change the formatting). We could have skipped the DX if we'd only had one child who'd needed a larger-screen reader though. And we have lots of regular-sized Sony Readers everyday reading. You need lots of readers if your library is digital.

Here's a post describing how I scanned all our books. As for copyrights, it is legal to change the format of a book you purchased. Scanning your books and then selling them wouldn't be so cool, nor should you scan library books (although there are arguments that you can for educational purposes) but it's completely fine to scan your own books. We only scanned books that weren't available digitally already, and we bought used books to scan if we didn't already own what we needed.

Wow! Thanks for the how-to. I'm a very texture-oriented person and it would take a bit of gut-clenching before I could see myself cutting the bindings off my beloved books in order to scan them quickly:001_huh::tongue_smilie:, but, oh! the space saved . . . !! Definitely something to keep in mind! It's amazing what you can do when you have no other acceptable option.

Mama Anna

(Musing over how to separate the voluptuous feel of an elderly hard-back book in my hands and the mental/emotional joy of dwelling in the much-loved contents. It'll take awhile! :D)

(Musing over how to separate the voluptuous feel of an elderly hard-back book in my hands and the mental/emotional joy of dwelling in the much-loved contents. It'll take awhile! :D)

I know the feeling too well. But when the alternative was to leave those books in storage for years (even when we lived in the US, I rarely had space to unpack all our books), I chose the contents over the actual pages. No regrets at all.

Are there others who you can be in contact with who might hs as well? I grew up in Kenya and even thought i grew up in "the bush" (well, I went to boarding school but vacations were with my folks in the bush), there were always missionaries and others going and coming and there was some ability to coordinate sharing/borrowing/buying off of one another.

You might start asking questions about others who might be hsing already out there.

It was interesting because about the time I got to high school age, our little station had a coop of sorts for elem. kids. There were only about 4 to 6 of them at any given time and they called it a "school" but it was run by moms in a basement as a way to not have to send the younger kids to boarding school. They pooled their books and resources and kind of made it up as they went, asking new missionaries to please bring this or that to add to their collection.

We also made trips every 6 months or so into the city and were able to buy books there, so it wasn't like we had no way to ever get anything.

Sonlight can be purchased used before you go. You could start looking now to plan. Any curriculum could be for that matter.

Best of luck,

Dawn