Menu

The Core (Classical Ed) Memorization questions

Wee Pip

I've been reading the book The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education, by Leigh A. Bortins. She helped found Classical Conversations (no, I didn't read that entire thread, lol). I'm not interested in CC at all. But I was sort of interested in this list she mentions in her book The Core. Her kids memorize 204 timeline events, including US presidents for history. There are 72 facts for science. Where do you get this list? She doesn't mention anything in her book about *where* you get this list:) I'm not a big memorization person, but would love to see this mysterious list.

You can buy the CC Foundations Guide, and all the facts for every subject except the timeline are in there. That is for history sentences, Latin, English grammar, science, math, and geography. CC sells other things to do with it - CDs with the facts to songs, flashcards, etc., but the Foundations Guide has all the basic info except the timeline.

The timeline is from Veritas Press - CC has their participants purchase VP's timeline cards & CDs with the timeline on them.

Here's a sample from the Foundations Guide.

http://www.classicalconversations.com/pdffiles/Press/Foundations3rdEditionSample.pdf

We are doing CC at home.

Initially, I just bought the guide to see what it was like. Then I decided to make my own flashcards and all, but ended up buying the flashcards and music CDs.

Much of the information comes from the Scholastic books "Everything you need to know about..." series. (World history, science, etc.) It would be quite a bit of work, but you could look over those books - or similar books - and design your own memorization program. Look at a general science (or grammar, history, math) book and ask yourself what is worthwhile to memorize.

We love doing our CC memorization and it is so easy to work into our schedule. I do use the Scholastic books to add in additional information, where needed/wanted. We often listen to the CDs in the car.

I've been reading the book The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education, by Leigh A. Bortins. She helped found Classical Conversations (no, I didn't read that entire thread, lol). I'm not interested in CC at all. But I was sort of interested in this list she mentions in her book The Core. Her kids memorize 204 timeline events, including US presidents for history. There are 72 facts for science. Where do you get this list? She doesn't mention anything in her book about *where* you get this list:) I'm not a big memorization person, but would love to see this mysterious list.

Hi My family is involved in CC and love it. The timeline events she mentions in the Core id from Veritas Press. She does put them in a different order than Veritas Press does, which can be found in the CC Foundations guide by numbers. If you are not looking to join CC you can always order the memory cards for each cycle and do it on your own. I have to travel alot and so we can't always attend class, but memorizing on our own is very doable. I just like how in class they do science experiments and art or music. Those are not my favs to do at home. If you have any questions let me know I'd love to share info.

If you don't want to spend $100 for the Veritas timeline, look for Grammar Stage Memory Work on Lulu.com - it's free and has a 135 point timeline (Veritas is 160 I believe).

I did this and nothing came up? Well, things came up but none of them were a free download of grammar stage memory work?