Menu

Laundry Detergent Question

DS and I have eczema and have always had trouble with various laundry detergents. We have found that Purex Free and Clear and All Free and Clear do no bother our skin at all. Plus I cannot stand scented laundry detergents. BUT if some drips on my washing machine and it dries, it leaves this film that is almost purple. A friend said that is the "optical brighteners" in it.

Does anyone know what that does to the clothing? Does it stick to it?

If you have sensitve skin what laundry detergent do you use?

Thanks.

Both DH and I have sensitive skin, I have eczema, and DS's skin is super-super sensitive.

I mix 2 cups washing soda, 2 cups borax, and 1 cup oxyclean. DS's clothes are washed strictly with this (a scant TBSP will get all of his clothes clean). For DH and I, I go back and forth. Usually I use a TBSP of Tide Free Liquid and a half- one TBSP of the washing soda mixture. This will get out all the grime and dirt and the clothes come out clean. If it has been really dry (which aggravates our sensitive skin) I skip the Tide all together and go with just a TBSP or two of the washing soda mixture.

We made a homemade liquid laundry detergent for a while and we really liked that, but we could only make it with homemade bar soaps and so we had to cut it for now until we get to a place where we can make our own.

The only detergent we can tolerate is Armand Hammer CLear and Free Powder.

But I must tell you about.......Calandula Creme. A friend recommended that I try it out - it's made by Weleda and only sold in smallish tubes at Health Food stores.......but a little goes a long way....and it's the only thing that has ever given my boys relief from eczema (and I've tried almost everything!)........rub a little on and the itching absolutely goes away...no longer do they scratch when they are sleeping or even in the day!

Myra

Optical brighteners do indeed stick to clothing. They reflect light so the clothing "looks" brighter without actually being as clean as they look.

I use Charlie's Soap http://www.charliesoap.com/ to clean my baby's diapers, as well as the rest of our clothing. It is all-natural, has no brighteners or enzymes that can be an issue with other detergents, and is clean-rinsing, leaving no residue, and it cleans well. It is also a family-run business that I feel good about supporting.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am interested in making my own! That sounds like a fun project!

The only detergent we can tolerate is Armand Hammer CLear and Free Powder.

But I must tell you about.......Calandula Creme. A friend recommended that I try it out - it's made by Weleda and only sold in smallish tubes at Health Food stores.......but a little goes a long way....and it's the only thing that has ever given my boys relief from eczema (and I've tried almost everything!)........rub a little on and the itching absolutely goes away...no longer do they scratch when they are sleeping or even in the day!

Myra

I will try that Calandula... I am ALWAYS looking for something to help my red, swollen, sore eczema-y hands! THANKS!