Menu

FLL 3 and 4 too parent intensive

12Stars

I have had to put it off to the side more than I would like to admit. I really wish I could sit and do the lessons everyday. I also have two small boys and one on the way. I am rethinking that maybe I might go back to PLL and ILL for my daughters.

My 5th grader did enjoy PLL when she did it in 3rd. I just think that switching to PLL and ILL they will be able to be a bit more independent.

I am rethinking how our year has gone so far. This year has been the most relaxed than the past years. I have had a lot on my plate.

I feel bad not finishing FLL though.

Anyone go through this :confused:

:bigear: I hear you on this. Baby #4 arrived a few weeks ago, and I put FLL 3 aside a couple of months ago intending to get back to it. I've had DD8 doing Dailygrams consistently in the meantime. But this was the week I was going try to get back into our full routine instead of school "lite". We got through one page of one lesson of FLL the whole week. Hmmm.

I would try to stick with FLL...It is just such a wonderful program. I fully understand and we have had the same issues, but remember it doesn't have to be done everyday-3 times a week will get you through it, I think. My son was not able to remember all the poems in FLL 3, so I just took all those lessons out of FLL 4 and put the poems in his memory work folder and he goes through them at his own pace. Some of the shorter lessons we doubled up on, and did some on Saturday if we got really behind. And there isn't really anything great out there for 5th grade, so if it takes you longer to get through FLL 4 you'll be fine ;) Grammar is repeated over and over and over and over, with most of the more difficult concepts not starting until 7th grade.

I believe SWB is coming out with the 5th grade level in October. If I recall correctly, it is titled Advanced Language Lessons. The 5th grade writing component will also be released then: Writing with Skill.

That is good to know, because I was wondering about that.

I should really stick to it and maybe the days that we cannot work on FLL go into the PLL and ILL. Another reason why I have enjoyed those two was because it really got them to think about the picture and it wasn't overwhelming.

There was more creativity is what I am trying to say.

Ok tomorrow I will start them up again and see how it goes.

Guest Kiwi Cathy

Hi there! I do know how you feel! My eldest is special ed but I do FLL4 with my eldest dd whilst having 3 younger ones.... I do do it everyday that I can, but sometimes not a whole lesson. I like it b/c it is all there and so easy to teach. It is very labour intensive though....

DOn't feel guilty, do what you can! But just to encourage you. 10 minutes a day is better than nothing....:)

(Disclaimer: My house is a mess, I am always feeling behind and I am no way superwoman in anyones' imagination!)

FLL3 doesn't take us very long to get through. We usually do four lessons per week, and I'd say grammar takes us anywhere from 10-20 minutes. A few times, when lessons have seemed ridiculously long, I have split them into two days. I'd say stick with FLL. Imo, it's much more rigorous than ILL. (Disclaimer: I have not used ILL, but I investigated it when I was trying to decide what to use for grammar.)

Tara

I have, also, found it hard to make it a priority to get FLL done. We school four days a week and I have it scheduled for four days a week. I guess I feel better if I miss a day every once in a while since it is scheduled that way.

We really like FLL around here. I am grateful SWB is writing this new grammar level. Now I don't have to figure out what to do next year.;)