Menu

Any suggestions for more memory work for a second grade boy?

cakesofstring

Have you checked out Living Memory by Andrew Campbell? It's on Lulu. He's the author of LCC and used to be on the boards here but I believe is headmastering in NH- Paula (EL) might know. Anyway, Living Memory is absolutely terrific for memory work- divided by categories. LOVE IT.

and Lingistic Development Thru Poetry Memorization is great.

You might check out Classical Conversations Foudnations program and do it at home- you can buy the guide and CD's without joining a program.

I hope you rethink the Preamble to the Constitution. We found a book called "We the Kids" by David Catrow at the library and it has the actual preamble with additional text in 'kidspeak; and pictures so they can understand completely what they are reading and memorizing. My 2nd grader had a really hard time trying to memorize it until he actually understood what it meant and now it is much easier, and he isn't loving poetry memorizations by any means. :001_smile:

Are you studing American History?

Not that I think it is too hard but if you are going to be in that time next year, then just wait.

My boys really enjoyed both the gettysburg address and O'Captain, if you are studing American.

We also use both Living Memory and Linguistic Devel...... Both are good and I can pick history, science, and math things out of LM and we enjoy almost all the poems in LDTPM.

Have you checked out Living Memory by Andrew Campbell? It's on Lulu. He's the author of LCC and used to be on the boards here but I believe is headmastering in NH- Paula (EL) might know. Anyway, Living Memory is absolutely terrific for memory work- divided by categories. LOVE IT.

This is what I use for inspiration as well. I try to incorporate memory work into all our subjects, not just poetry so this has been an invaluable resource for my family. I like that it doesn't tell you *what* to memorize but rather, it organizes information into lists and categories so you can choose for yourself what you want to be working on. Sometimes I let my kids go through the book and choose what they want to memorize. There's TONS to pick from in this book!!