Menu

Why should I get an Ipad (or other tablet)?

At the risk of sounding completely technically unsavvy...

What can you tell me about Ipads or other similar tablets? What all can you do on them? What comes included on the tablet and what needs to be purchased separately? I know very little about them, but I know many of you love them, so tell me why.

Guest aquiverfull

If I could afford an Ipad, I'd have one. I have an iphone and the apps for that thing are just out of this world. They have tons and tons of educational apps and games. All my girls love to play on my iphone from ages 2-11.

I already have a laptop, and I'm not sure what an Ipad can do in comparison to a laptop. But I'd have an ipad if money were no option for nothing but the apps alone. :)

Edited by aquiverfull

I just bought an IPod Touch for J. He can take it anywhere, I have email, FB and other very useful apps for myself as well. He has TONS of games on it already and it has only been here 2 days!

Our LapTop has a 19" screen, I can't take that everywhere ;) And we also do not have internet on our cell phone.

As for internet on the go, it depends on if you want to pay a monthly fee or not. If not, then you'll have to be in a WiFi spot for internet. If you pay a monthly fee, you can have internet anywhere.

I have an iPhone and I'm trying to justify getting an iPad, but I just can't see doing it if I have an iPhone....it's just the same thing but bigger, more difficult to fit into my purse, and an added fee if I want to be able to access the internet everywhere.

I just bought an IPod Touch for J. He can take it anywhere, I have email, FB and other very useful apps for myself as well. He has TONS of games on it already and it has only been here 2 days!

Our LapTop has a 19" screen, I can't take that everywhere ;) And we also do not have internet on our cell phone.

My girls each have their own iPod Touch and it's the best gift we've ever gotten them. I loaded them up with home videos, family photos, kid music, games, educational things, netflix, TV shows that they love.....it's awesome!

I've never had a smart phone because I'm just too cheap. I've never had an ereader because I just didn't see the point, but I literally found an envelope with 5 $100 bills in it, and my son convinced me that I would love having an ipad.

I'm ready to buy a new one and give my current one to my 4 year old. I love the kindle app, because I can read in bed without a light.

I carry it in my purse, so I'm never bored in waiting rooms. andI have my grocery list on it so I don't lose it.

In the car, my kids pass it around and play Monopoly. My 1 year old loves the Peter Rabbit pop up book and the interactive songs like old McDonald.

My 4 year old uses it for flashcards and cakedoodle and movies. I can only use WiFi on the one I have because I only wanted to spend $500, but when the new ones come out, I'll buy one that will have internet everywhere.

We were given an Ipad and an Ipod Touch at the same time last year through a promotional deal. The versions we have do not have access to the internet via a cell phone data plan so weconnect via our at home wireless or from other hotspot locations that have free access to the internet. I would have not purchased one BUT I love it. My other computer is an older desktop.

I use the Ipad for email, WTM forum, reading newspapers, readaloud books (mainlesson.com) plus games, some video watching, cooking and sitting on the couch to read my email, texting, library, surf the internet and research homeschool stuff, Facebook, etc. I mainly use it at home with our wireless internet and sometimes take it to ballet class while I'm killing time. (which is near a coffee shop with a hotspot). I love how portable it is to use around the house. I do find that typing long messages on it is difficult.

My husband uses the Ipod Touch for all of the above. It is the same as the Ipad, just smaller.

I hope this helps.