Menu

Guest aquiverfull

Guest aquiverfull

I know this has been mentioned here on the boards a few times. It usually results in several people being interested but no one who has actually used it. So I thought I'd try again. Do you have any information you can share about Epi Kardia? Have you used it or know anyone who has?

Thanks!

Guest aquiverfull

Hi Carmen! :)

Thanks Cheryl,

It does look great. I like that it has a lot of flexibility, but also has some project and mapping ideas, writing prompts, and lapbooking suggestions to help keep me on track. I find it easy to pick up a book and read with my girls, but get stuck trying to take it to the next level. We like notebooking pages but don't really know how to carry them out without the extra ideas. The EK sample booklets give wonderful ideas. I feel like I need a little structure for my younger girls because I tend to let history and science slide with them if I don't have a good plan to follow. I'd like to make their early years fun and EK has lots of living books.

I like the daily plans, but I feel like they would be too restrictive. I'd like to have the opportunity to go at our own pace. We might not cover all the history periods in one year. So the "Complete K-2 Plans" seem like the way to go. That way we can stretch it out how ever we like.

Guest aquiverfull

Hi Jennifer. :)

No, I'm not using it yet, but I am interested in it. I like that it has a booklist, teacher notes about the time periods being studied and then mapping, writing, and project ideas to go along. It kinda reminds me of TOG in that regard. However, I'm just going by the samples on the site and there aren't many of them. I wish they had more samples so I could get a better idea of how it works. Also they recommend going through all of history each year, a little deeper each time, so if you use the daily plans they will have you do that. What they call the "Complete plans" is for 3 grades at a time and much more flexible so that you could stretch out the time periods if you desire to do so, and also exchange books and tweak to your hearts desire.

Jesse - I purchased the first grade lesson plans for the first unit. In the teacher's guide portion it says:

"There are many more ideas, projects and book selections in our regular curriculum, as well as unit overviews summarizing each period in history and an extra unit of Resources listings that are not in the lesson plans. In addition, although the plans are very clear and easy to implement, the Epi Kardia Parent Manual has much more detailed information regarding teaching and evaluating writing, for example, than the lesson plans have."

If you get the "Complete Program", their regular curriculum, it's only $95.00 for 3yrs worth of info. That's the one I plan to order. When I actually get it, I'll come back and tell you more what it is like.

BTW, I really liked the lesson plan unit I purchased but finances and flexibility are what led me to choose the other.

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks for sharing that information about the extras found in the "Complete Program". I like the look of the daily lesson plans too. It reminded me a lot of Trail Guide to Learning. Only to me EK's daily lesson plans look more age appropriate for the older group. I think it's reasonable to expect that though. TGTL is trying to work on several grades so it seemed to me that it taught to the younger and tried to beef up to the older. So my dd found some of the books and activities to be "babyish" (her words). I don't think I'd buy the daily plans, however, because not only are they more expensive but they don't allow for as much flexibility. They do look very nice and well put together though.

Guest aquiverfull
I wish they had more samples, too!!! It looks pretty neat, but I can't tell if their is a lot more beyond the booklist that would make it worth the $$$.

:iagree: I do think the price is reasonable since it covers 3 years worth of material. I do wish they would show more samples. Maybe a sample of the teacher's notes, or another booklet sample on each grade level. Or say, "The Civil War" Booklet sample for every "complete program" level they sell, so I could compare. That would help me to get a better picture.

If I remember right, they did offer a special coupon to new members of their email list off of their first purchase.

I'm going to have to revisit it for the younger years. I'm going to use Oak Meadow for my olders next year...but I'm not sure OM is what I want for the younger two!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

:lurk5:I'm looking at this for DD for K next year. It looks like daddy will be the 'teacher' and he's less organized, so I can't decide between the lesson plans and the k-2 curriculum...I think if I were teaching I'd like the flexibility.....Does anyone have an update?

:lurk5:I'm looking at this for DD for K next year. It looks like daddy will be the 'teacher' and he's less organized, so I can't decide between the lesson plans and the k-2 curriculum...I think if I were teaching I'd like the flexibility.....Does anyone have an update?

If you need organization I would suggest you get the "Daily Lesson Plans". I ordered the "Complete Program" for K-2 and returned it. It was mostly a booklist with some overview notes for each time period. I realized I didn't have the time to put it all together myself, so I opted to return it. If I had the money, I would have just gotten the Daily Lesson Plans. They do have an AWESOME booklist.

BTW, the were VERY gracious about the return. They even refunded my shipping. They emailed me some questions regarding why I didn't want to use it. After I answered they replied back again thanking me and made themselves available to answer any further questions I may have in the future.

• 1 year later...

I got the K-2nd and the 1st grade daily and I am trying to put together for this year... hmmmm

Books are hard to get from the library... anyone else having the same trouble? I got some from paperbackswap. but I can't wait forever for these books.

I am trying to substitute with whatever the library has on that time frame, but I feel I am missing out on the "classical" and "best language expossure" to the kids.

I asked my librarian for stories set in ancient times... she stared at me and just had one author, the marathon story basically. I tried to combine the lists of HUFI and AO, and see for overlap... they all agree on Little house in the big woods, by Wilder.

have you found it easy to find books?