Menu

Has anyone used Veritas Press's Omnibus?

momof8

We used Omnibus I four years ago. It's beautiful and well done. It is above grade level of most 7th graders so many people wait until 9th grade. My son did some of the secondary readings in 7th (Narnia, Kreeft, Sproul, and some others) when we were studying the 20th century and did the primary readings in 8th grade when we returned to the ancients. It's a lot of work for the student if you follow the schedule in Omnibus, our weekly discussions took about 1.5 hours. The text assumes the teacher knows how to teach the writing assignments - there are some progym assignments along with essays, etc. - so if you don't know how do teach the assignments you'll need a handbook or two.

We are using it in 9th grade. There is no way I would have used it any earlier (kudos to those who do). It is challenging and time consuming, after all, it is 3 credits and I am thrilled with most of it.

Dd enjoys it enough to want to stick with it for the duration.

I don't think it is enough for the history credit so we added in Speilvogel's Human Odyssey with the activity and map book for a one year world history survey but next year we will just be using Western Civ with it as it suggests.

We are doing most of the secondary works and all of the primary.

I've posted about it on the high school boards--just do a tag search.

I used one and two with ds when he was in 9th and 10th, with tweaking (we didn't read much of the secondary lit and added some in, and we nixed the progym writing exercises--I was brand new at hsing and Omnibus allowed us to explore the GB's).