Menu

Tell me about Apologia Science

m0mmaBuck

We are using Apologia Astronomy this year. Ds is 7.5 and in 2nd grade.

We normally cover a lesson in 2 weeks, doing science 2x/week. Depending on the length of the lesson, we would read it in 2 or 3 sessions. Then in the 3rd and/or 4th sessions, we do an activity suggested in the book (or the notebook journal, although ds hasn't been so enthused about those) and/or read another library book about that subject. I have him narrate orally on the reading days, or just answer the What Do You Remember? questions.

As there are only 13 lessons in the book, it will leave us about 13 weeks at the end of the year with nothing to do for science, so we may move on to another Apologia book or do a weather-study with books from the library. From what I understand (although I haven't seen them), the other elementary books are more in depth than Astronomy, so it could perhaps work to stretch out some of those lessons over a longer time than 2 weeks if needed for a younger child.

HTH! We're really enjoying it.

We do science 4 days/week, maybe 5, and are on track to cover 2 Apologia books this year with a 10 yo fifth grader and a 7 yo first grader. We do about a chapter a week. We read the chapter together or separately. Sometimes the kids read half on their own, and we read half out loud. If it is a long chapter, we take 2 days to read it.

We have one textbook that the kids share, but they have their own notebooking journals. The first couple of notebooking pages for each chapter are just "write or draw some things you learned from this chapter." My 7 yo does fine on these if I don't check spelling very carefully. ;) The journals include mini-books to put together, crossword puzzles, Venn diagram activities (comparing Jupiter and Saturn, for example), that sort of thing.

The activities in the textbook are almost always worth doing, and we do the vast majority of them. What makes them get done, however, (and really--I should get a kickback from these guys, but I don't) are the kits from Nature's Workshop. For $70 or so, you get a nicely-organized and labeled kit with every item you need to do every activity in the textbook. If it calls for a tablespoon of cooking oil, your kit for that week (each chapter's supplies are in a separate ziploc bag) includes a tablespoon of cooking oil. Oh, sure, I have a tablespoon of cooking oil, but the extra half-hour I would spend collecting the cooking oil, the bowl, the empty water bottle and the rubberband is a half-hour I do not have and do not want to devote to collecting supplies. This is the very best thing about Apologia, in my opinion, and what makes it get done at our house. We never have to skip an experiment or activity because Mom forgot to buy borax or whatever else is required for the activity.

Other companies have cheaper Apologia kits, but they are not nearly as inclusive as Nature's Workshop's. I say this all the time, but the best science curriculum is the one that gets done, and these kits make sure science gets done at our house.

Terri

We have been using Astronomy this year for 1st and plan on doing Botany for 2nd. We LOVE it!!! I highly suggest getting the notebook. It really helps you solidify the information you are learning and gives you even more activities if that is what you want to do. We end up doing it about 4 times a week, and taking 2 weeks to complete a chapter, simply because ds can't handle too much info in 1 sitting. He love is so much and is learning a TON.