Menu

IEW SWI question

needmoregrace

I am planning on using IEW SWI A with my kids next year. I am trying to figure out if I can buy the teacher notes from IEW separately from the package. My friend bought the DVDs and I was going to buy the student books. I can't find anywhere on the IEW site that you can buy the teacher packet alone. Maybe I am missing it.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

The packet that comes with the DVD set if you buy it from IEW is available for $10 as a downloadable PDF so you can print as many copies as you need. This includes both the student pages and the teacher's notes.

Here's a link to it. These are all the pages that would come in the binder, I bought this so I could just print them off the computer instead of having to go make copies of the pages from the binder.

Thank you! Buying the set from IEW includes a 100 page teacher packet. I didn't know if I needed that.

Thanks!

The 100 page "teacher packet" is actually the teachers notes and all the pages your student would need (the models, checklists, etc) so if you get the downloadable one, the only thing you won't get is the binder with the IEW cover on it. My son prefers using a larger binder than the one that comes with the IEW cd/binder set, so the download worked out great. I'll also be able to use it when my younger kids get to SWI A, because I can just print their own pages.

semi hi-jack. Are the writing through history/fable iew programs (i'm sorry i don't know the exact names) to be done with the swi program, or do they follow after?

also, if there is a good overview of the program, i'd appreciate a link.

thank you

semi hi-jack. Are the writing through history/fable iew programs (i'm sorry i don't know the exact names) to be done with the swi program, or do they follow after?

thank you

I was wondering the exact same thing today. I've been searching the IEW website and I'm not finding the answer. I would love an overview of the program too! :bigear:

thank you

The theme books can be done independently but I think one would get the most out of them if they are familiar with the TWSS.

The TWSS are the teacher DVDs that teach the mom/instructor on how to teach the program to the kids. It's meant that you can watch these DVDS, work through their samples, then apply the techniques of writing across the curriculum.

The SWI DVD, OTOH, are taught directly to the student and can be done independently of mom/teacher if required. They are a stand-alone writing program and make writing a completely separate component.

The theme books fall somewhere in between. There is enough instruction in them that you can use them as stand-alone IEW products but if possible, I'd recommend borrowing the TWSS from a friend and seeing what the whole program is about. I like the theme books because they facilitate the blending of writing into what the kids are studying (usually history) rather than "just" being a writing course.

The theme books can be done independently but I think one would get the most out of them if they are familiar with the TWSS.

The TWSS are the teacher DVDs that teach the mom/instructor on how to teach the program to the kids. It's meant that you can watch these DVDS, work through their samples, then apply the techniques of writing across the curriculum.

The SWI DVD, OTOH, are taught directly to the student and can be done independently of mom/teacher if required. They are a stand-alone writing program and make writing a completely separate component.

The theme books fall somewhere in between. There is enough instruction in them that you can use them as stand-alone IEW products but if possible, I'd recommend borrowing the TWSS from a friend and seeing what the whole program is about. I like the theme books because they facilitate the blending of writing into what the kids are studying (usually history) rather than "just" being a writing course.

thanks for the overview. if i'm understanding correctly, you'd either go the twss or the swi route...the first being mom/teacher directed, writing about subjects you are already doing and the second having your child instructed by the teacher on the dvds and limited to the selections used by the swi course.

are the theme books just using twss with a little direction, but you still pick the books?

is that even close?

btwi feel like my writing/grammar gets worse when posting on threads related to those things:tongue_smilie: