Menu

Apologia or Sonlight Science?

Mom28kds

I am referring to my next year 5th grader. I am going to do sonlight History as I like the idea of reading real books. I already have the Apologia Astronomy book but looking at the Sonlight Science I'm wondering if it would be more intersting to read real books on that also. But then is that too much reading with doing the history? I know Apologia is a great program but I'm also wondering if it would get boring just doing 1 subject in science? Thanks

We are doing Apologia astronomy this year with the LBC guide and book recommendations. The astronomy itself is a bit 'texty' for me, I can't read it forever like a living book (I get bored), but my daughter really likes it.

The notebooking journals from Apologia for each course have MANY book recommendations for each chapter, but we don't have that :).

I like adding lit to our science and need to keep it on a single subject for a longer length of time. We don't feel jumping around like SL often does leads to great comprehension.

We are doing Sonlight Science 2 and Apologia Astronomy this year. You really could do both in a year. My suggestion would be that you do the 4 day Sonlight Science and have your 5th day be Astronomy. If you do 2 weeks per lesson it would only take you about 28 weeks to do Astronomy. This is working really well for dd and we are using the 5 day Science from Sonlight, we do our experiments on the weekends with Daddy.

Hi, Apologia exploring creation books are really good books, but my daughter things they are boring studying the same thing over and over and over, and as someone else said, a bit texty.....I like the reading of books by sonlight, and the teachers guide is great for questions and things to do. It just seems more interesting to me. less school bookish. hth, nancyt