Menu

AAS and ETC?

DragonFaerie

Okay, I'm giving in to "peer pressure" :D and buying AAS (so many of you guys seem to love it). I'm actually kind of excited about it because I really think learning and understanding the rules of spelling will help my son read better, too. So here's what I'm wondering. We're currently using ETC (book 3) and I'd like to at least finish books 3 and 4 since I already have them. Is it overkill to start AAS now, too?

We're doing AAS and we're still on ETC book 1, although we are almost done with it. I did ETC out of order to match up with our AAS lessons. We are doing the short e lessons in both this week. Once short vowels are done, I don't think we will be able to match them up so easily but I'm not too worried about it. My son loves doing both and it's really helping his reading and spelling progress very quickly.

I was thinking about starting it next year but after going through it more, I really think it will help him a lot and I don't want to wait. I don't plan to do ETC beyond book 4, either. That should take us to the end of this school year and I think he'll be fine without it next year, especially if I continue with AAS.

My ds is in book 4 of ETC and Level 2 of AAS. It is my plan, once he finishes this ETC book, to go through the rest of the ETC books 5-8 that I already own, and tear out and match the pages with the lessons in AAS. I hope that these will line up nicely. After looking at the scope and sequence of both, it seems that many will. Then, I can use ETC more as extra practice with what we are working on in AAS. (and I can file the ETC pages in my file box!!) :001_smile:

That is my plan, anyway. We shall see how it works.

Brand new to AAS, but still using ETC and not a problem. I was planning on just finishing book 3 and being done, but they are so easy for my son to do on his own (mostly) that I just might keep on going?! We'll see. So far though they do not "conflict" and it isn't too much, so I figure, "Why not?!" ;)

We're doing both. I don't think it is too much, and they are done in different ways, so I think it is helpful. My son actually loves ETC, which cracks me up. There's no color, the pictures are just odd sometimes, but he really looks forward to doing it. So I LET him. :lol:

I think I will go ahead and use both for DD when she is ready. I have found them both beneficial in their own ways. :)

The problem I'm having with ETC is that it just seems like so much busywork. My son can read all the words, do all the exercises and the only mistakes he really makes are when he gets careless (because he really doesn't have to put much effort into it). But, what he's doing in ETC is not translating to the rest of his schoolwork. For example, he can read the word "golf" in ETC, he can copy it and fill it in in a sentence but when he comes across it in a book, he doesn't know it and if asked, he can't spell it. He will also likely have forgotten it when we get to the end-of-book test for ETC. ETC just doesn't seem to "stick." But, I don't want not use the books I already have so we'll finish them up. Maybe they'll serve as reinforcement to what he learns in AAS or maybe having seen something in ETC will help AAS "stick."

My dd is using ETC with AAS right now. She's on step 11 of AAS 1 and we're just about to finish ETC 3, so they haven't lined up at all, but once we're done with ETC 3, I'm going to hold off on ETC until we start book 2 of AAS and then try to match up the lessons better. It has helped my dd reinforce AAS, but she's a really late bloomer in reading (just now starting magic tree house books at 9 years old) so the busy work helps her and she enjoys it.

The problem I'm having with ETC is that it just seems like so much busywork. My son can read all the words, do all the exercises and the only mistakes he really makes are when he gets careless (because he really doesn't have to put much effort into it). But, what he's doing in ETC is not translating to the rest of his schoolwork. For example, he can read the word "golf" in ETC, he can copy it and fill it in in a sentence but when he comes across it in a book, he doesn't know it and if asked, he can't spell it. He will also likely have forgotten it when we get to the end-of-book test for ETC. ETC just doesn't seem to "stick." But, I don't want not use the books I already have so we'll finish them up. Maybe they'll serve as reinforcement to what he learns in AAS or maybe having seen something in ETC will help AAS "stick."

If it isn't working for your son, just drop it. Because then it probably is just busy work. You can sell the books that you haven't used.

And yes, go ahead and start AAS when you receive it. You don't need to wait for the fall or your next school year. I bought it at the end of December and started up in January. The other spelling program we were doing was no longer effective, and I wanted to just jump in. So far, so good. :001_smile:

And yes, go ahead and start AAS when you receive it. You don't need to wait for the fall or your next school year.

:iagree:The levels don't correspond to grade levels anyway. We started level 1 3 weeks ago and are finishing it tomorrow. We'll start level 2 the week after next (we're taking next week off). I'm sure we'll finish it sometime before the next "school year" starts. It might be well before. I have no clue when we'll slow down. We were doing a step per day in level 1 because it was pretty easy. Level 2 should get harder (it looks like it will).