Menu

Can anyone compare/contrast Videotext math vs. Chalkdust?

Karie

I can't give info on Chalkdust, by my ds completed Videotext Algebra and is almost half through Videotext Geometry. My dd is using Videotext Algebra now, too. It has worked well for us. The solutions manual is very helpful, and I like the clear video explanations and the frequent quizzing. I also like that they provide a form A and B for all quizzes and tests. Many people say that there isn't enough review with Videotext, but we have found the unit reviews and cumulative reviews to be enough. I have my children work through Form A of those review tests for practice (and review!) and then they take Form B for the actual test.

Math is not my strength, but I've learned a lot by going through Algebra with my children. I really appreciate the way they teach word problems. My husband is managing ds's geometry course, and he is a fan of Videotext as well.

DS 12 just started CD Pre Alg and is loving Dr. Mosely. He is wonderful. I'm not mathy -- dh is -- so the dvd's are great for my son to watch, and re-watch if need be. The text is straightforward. Explanations are thorough. My son likes it much better than TT 7 which he just buzzed through in 4 months.

We like the complete solutions manual. Most of all, Dr. Mosely presents the concepts in a way that is working well for us. We plan to continue on this road w/ CD based on our experience thus far.

We bought the traditional set, 3rd edition.

Sorry, no experience w/ Video Text.

I have viewed lessons from both VideoText and Chalkdust. I like Dana Mosely's teaching style and content. The one drawback was the length of the lessons. I love math and would stay focused and engaged. Unfortunately my daughter would not. I don't "connect" as well with the instructors on VideoText but the lessons seem shorter. My math-loving husband and 2 college students (Electrical Engineering and Math majors) who viewed multiple VideoText lessons told me they liked what they saw and thought that the concepts were presented very well. We will be going with VideoText because I think it will be the best choice for my daughter's learning style.

HTH!

Cyrena

I only have experience with VideoText. I checked out ChalkDust at convention, but only kind of.

VT - I like that the lessons are pretty short. They only add one new concept per lesson, and they show all the steps as they go through it. I have not had issues with the number of problems at all - it has been more than adequate for our needs. I love that the solutions manual works out everything, step by step. I correct the work, but I make my son work through - sometimes with the solutions manual - to figure out what he did wrong. I love that there is an A and B form for all the quizzes and tests. I love that my son can do this pretty independently. I love that I don't have to purchase anything else for the next four...

What I don't like - well, the 'teacher' often seems more like an actor reading lines. It isn't always the case, but there are moments I watch and think - you don't have the first clue as to what the things you are saying mean...

Another thing I really like is that it seems to work for a variety of types of students. It is to the point enough for my math-gifted son to stick with the lesson and not roll his eyes thinking he knows this stuff already. But my next son (who hasn't started it yet) will get enough information, as they keep walking through the steps over and over as they introduce the next thing.

Like I said, though, I haven't really seen Chalkdust, so I can't compare.

Debra