Menu

How often do you well something, only to wish later that you still had it...

mothergooseof4

....or worse, you buy it again????

I was just thinking about this last night. I have tried and sold LOTS of stuff over ten years. Most of it I never think of again. But, some things, I later wish I still had.

I started a habit a few years ago where I stick things on the "for sale" shelf. Often it sits there for a year or two before I sell it so these are not hasty decisions. But, I know lately there have been several things that I had in years past that weren't working for my oldest, now I see that they would be the perfect fit for one of my younger kids. It is frustrating in a way. But, I am also afraid to hold onto some things for too long since they will be updated and my version will lose value. I am all for building my library with things we enjoy, but when something has sat unused for years, I feel like I should be a better steward and sell it to fund new purchases.

A few examples are MOH....I had this on my shelf for years because I like it. The problem is that I need everything all scheduled out for me. I just overhauled my school this December and did pull MOH out to consider. I wanted something to do with all of the kids together. I still didn't see me implementing it, so I went with MFW (which I am loving) and sold MOH. Now, I am sort of missing it sitting there on the shelf. I really think my 11yo ds would have liked it for book basket. He may not have read it all, but I think I could have finally put it to use. Then there are the SL I Can Read It books. I was just done with SL and knew I would not return, so I sold everything that was not also scheduled in the curriculum that I switched to at the time. Now I think those books would be great for dd. I bought Phonics Road once, sold it without trying it, then bought it again years later and am loving it. The Draw Write Now series and a couple of Draw and Write Through History were despised by my oldest ds. I also knew my second ds would not care for them. Now dd comes along and I wish they were still on the shelf. She would love the DWN series to help with her notebooking pages for MFW.

Off I go to search for used stuff! Oh, well, it feeds my curriculum hobby and makes checking the mail fun!

Edited by mothergooseofthree

If I get to the point where I need to clear a bunch of stuff out, I go ahead and do it. Unless something is out of print, I don't give it much thought.

I can only think of a handful of things I ever re-bought or missed at all. Not hardly enough to even really think about...

Ha ha in my playing around today, I came across the I See Sam readers and put them on my kindle. Dd has already read the first 10. They are way below her at this level, but she is excited to use my kindle and they are building her confidence. I also put some Elson Readers on it for the boys. Love that free stuff!

I rarely sell anything because I'm afraid that ...might just happen! I actually had my core K IG for sale at a local homeschool consignment shop. THANKFULLY it didn't sell and I got it back. We're now doing core K, love it, and I bought a used 1+2, can't wait to do it!