Menu

Has anyone used Write Shop Primary?

lexi

My daughter enjoys coming up with stories and mom needs help coming up with ideas or ways to encourage her writing and story-telling.

I saw Write Shop Primary and it looked like a good mix of writing activities and hands-on activities. I like that the student is not required to do a frustrating amount of writing at this level but it encourages creativity and helps them build a story.

Has anyone used this program? Any feedback or suggestions? What would be a good, very gentle, and fun beginning writing curriculum? We're planning for first grade and my son will be in PreK so I thought he might join in on the story-telling with us occasionally.

I am thinking about using IEW when she is older but would like something planned out with ideas for now.

I just downloaded Writeshop Primary A last night and looked through the first part of it. So far, I really like what I see, and I think it's something that my 5 year old will enjoy. It seems very gentle, the lessons are short, and you can either write for your child or have your child write what they can. It doesn't exactly go along with what WTM recommends for writing for kids at this age, but I didn't follow the WTM recommendations for my oldest (although we did do some copywork and narration), and her writing skills seem to be above average. Both my 9 and 5 year old love to tell stories, so I think it's going to work well. I'll be able to give a more thorough review once we get started and make it through a month or two.

We are using it and at first I was very excited about it. We are only on the second lesson (which has several days of writing activities), but I'll tell you after about the 4th or 5th time of writing on the same topic (something special about today), I'm starting to feel done with it. Actually it's 8 days of "Look at the calendar. What day is today".... Plus, my son is resisting the guided questions. He wants to write his own thing and his own ideas. Also, it has you write the title first and then write the body, but if we follow the guided questions, the title can end up having nothing to do with what he wrote about. He never wants to use the titles they suggest.

I also haven't liked the first two hands on activities. The first one was to write something on a paper and then roll it up and make a kite. You would not be able to see the writing? I didn't get it!

I'm going to give it a little more time to see how it shapes up, but right now I'm feeling close to done with it.

Edited by Cindyz

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this program! We use A with DS (1st grade). I like that you can buy the TM, but download the worksheets. We also use C with DD (3rd grade). We switched from WWE. I like that WS is "creative". This really got my DD excited about writing as she loves to make up stories.

Here's one free at google books: With Pencil and Pen.

Unfortunately, Ida Brautigam's composition Book One is no longer available at google books for free.

You could also use one of the Primary Language Lessons books like Sheldon's for free at google books.

Thanks for listing those resources. I had not heard of those before.

I am not familiar with Writing with Ease and don't know anyone who is using that program. Are there some threads here that discuss how it works or some reviews I could read?

Anyone have some pros and cons of this program compared to Write Shop or other writing programs? Is it more of a grammar program or creative writing?

I don't understand how it works and I couldn't find a description on the Peace Hill Press website.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to give the things you mentioned some thought and see how I can tweak it if they end being problems for us. I wasn't planning on starting for another week or two, but now I think I'm going to try it sooner as I'm curious. My understanding is that the guided questions are just examples of how to do it (help your child along with getting his/her thoughts out in complete sentences), so I think if I was in your situation, I'd just go with the flow and follow along with where my child wanted to take the story. Then I'd revisit the title and talk about whether or not it really matched with the writing and come up with something better if it didn't. Anyway, just some thoughts as I think this whole thing through. Like I said, I haven't actually started yet, so I may find it to be way too tedious and not a good fit as well. Good luck!

We are using it and at first I was very excited about it. We are only on the second lesson (which has several days of writing activities), but I'll tell you after about the 4th or 5th time of writing on the same topic (something special about today), I'm starting to feel done with it. Actually it's 8 days of "Look at the calendar. What day is today".... Plus, my son is resisting the guided questions. He wants to write his own thing and his own ideas. Also, it has you write the title first and then write the body, but if we follow the guided questions, the title can end up having nothing to do with what he wrote about. He never wants to use the titles they suggest.

I also haven't liked the first two hands on activities. The first one was to write something on a paper and then roll it up and make a kite. You would not be able to see the writing? I didn't get it!

I'm going to give it a little more time to see how it shapes up, but right now I'm feeling close to done with it.

yes, we use it & really love it so far. my son is in grade 1 and working through book A currently. it is very gentle, which is perfect for him. next year in second grade, he'll work through books B&C along with CLE LA. i own all 3 levels, so if you have specific questions, i'd be glad to look through and answer them. we've not used books B & C yet though, so i can't comment on them (although i am planning to incorporate some ideas into my daughter's weeks when BJU is covering grammar only). hth.

Here's one free at google books: With Pencil and Pen.

Unfortunately, Ida Brautigam's composition Book One is no longer available at google books for free.

You could also use one of the Primary Language Lessons books like Sheldon's for free at google books.

I found it from a link from Tara, and these work, so they are still there just hard to find.

• 1 month later...

I started using Write Shop Primary with my K5 dd this year (who reads at a much higher level than her age). We were initially excited about it, but found that the lessons quickly became very tiresome. I was bored to tears by the third day of writing about the same topic. We half-halfheartedly completed one full 5-day lesson and it has been sitting on my shelf making me feel guilty since then. I just cannot bring myself to start another 5-day sequence.

I am switching to WWE because I'll be able to mix things up so much more while still giving that important foundation in writing.

HTH

I started using Write Shop Primary with my K5 dd this year (who reads at a much higher level than her age). We were initially excited about it, but found that the lessons quickly became very tiresome. I was bored to tears by the third day of writing about the same topic. We half-halfheartedly completed one full 5-day lesson and it has been sitting on my shelf making me feel guilty since then. I just cannot bring myself to start another 5-day sequence.

I am switching to WWE because I'll be able to mix things up so much more while still giving that important foundation in writing.

HTH

So can you tell me more about the format of the lessons? Are you supposed to write about one topic every day for 5 days? When I looked at the program initially it seemed to encourage creative writing and I didn't realize it was that repetitive. :glare:

Has anyone else used it and changed things up to fit your needs?

Can someone tell me more about WWE? :confused: I'm not familiar with it and I don't know anyone who has used it. I would like to gently begin simple writing instruction and have thought about introducing IEW in a year or two but wanted something more gentle and fun for right now.

I need some direction and suggestions!

Just bought Write Shop1 for my dds 11 & 12yo. Not started it yet but LOVE what I see. Still taking time to read thru it myself. I really think that the guided subjects of writing will help my 12yo. No imagination whatsoever.LOL The 11yo, on the other hand, well, she is ALL imagination. LOL

I had the same thoughts too. My kids like writing "stories" and am looking for something to give them guidance on creative writing at a young age

:iagree: I'm wondering if I could use it and simply modify it to make it less repetitive.

I need something to get me started and give me ideas for teaching them writing. I also want something outlined for me so I will stay accountable and consistent. My dd has enjoyed fun writing exercises I have done with her but I just don't have time to make it up on my own right now (or I totally forget to have her write and narrate with me). I feel like I need a jumpstart to get us going.

So can you tell me more about the format of the lessons? Are you supposed to write about one topic every day for 5 days? When I looked at the program initially it seemed to encourage creative writing and I didn't realize it was that repetitive. :glare:

Has anyone else used it and changed things up to fit your needs?

Can someone tell me more about WWE? :confused: I'm not familiar with it and I don't know anyone who has used it. I would like to gently begin simple writing instruction and have thought about introducing IEW in a year or two but wanted something more gentle and fun for right now.

I need some direction and suggestions!

From my experience with WriteShop Primary A: For every lesson, there are 8 "Activity Sets," which range from 5 - 15 minute writing activities that are done with the child around a single topic. You can decide whether to take a full week for each lesson, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks and just double up on activity sets as appropriate.

Each lesson with 8 activities focuses on a particular topic. (For example, Lesson 1 is all about pets. You can choose a different topic if desired, but it will take just a bit more thinking on your feet to make the whole lesson flow.) Regardless of the time frame you select for each lesson (1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks), each day includes a "Guided Writing Practice" where your student responds to questions in complete sentences, and you write them down.

Activity Set 1 is only Guided Writing Practice, warming up for the week.

Activity Set 2 includes pre-writing activities, which usually means reading a book on the topic.

Activity 3 - Brainstorming.

Activity 4 - Writing a first draft of the project.

Activity 5 - Editing and revising.

Activity 6 - Worksheet

Activity 7 - Publishing the project.

Activity 8 - Evaluating.

Some publishing options I found odd (such making a rolled-up kite which resulted in a story that could no longer be read).

Hope this helps a bit ...

About WWE - I wonder if you could get a copy of it from your local library to see before you commit to anything? It's a single, slim volume outlining a complete writing plan for Gr 1 - 4 where you fill in the content.

WWE uses narration, copywork and dictation to build young students' ability to develop ideas in their head and to write complete sentences on paper. In it SWB suggests the length passage to choose for each week of each grade level, and as a parent you can select from any book that you choose.

It is definitely not a creative writing course, and SWB explains her philosophy around that in WWE. I happen to agree with her, and have found that WWE has simplified my life so much over WriteShop.

We have only used the First lesson so far (which is 8 days) (plus one day into the second lesson), and my DD5 is enjoying it. I will say though that I always tweak anything we do, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

While the first lesson theme is Animals, there are about 15 suggested writing topics for the 8 days (pets, farm animals, etc...). If we tried to do this program every day, I believe that my daughter would probably get bored. Doing it 2-3 days/week is working well for us. There are scripted questions to ask, but these are suggestions and you are free to ask your own. I like them as a jumping off point and we see where they take us.

I use a whiteboard and write for my DD for the most part, but sometimes she wants to put in all of the periods, or write certain words. We talk about what sentences start and end with, etc... as we go along. Like WWE, the focus is on complete sentences. One day the Title was something like Sea Creatures, but my DD decided that she wanted to write about a particular trip to the beach that we took. We did that, then talked about whether or not the title was really appropriate anymore and then changed it.

When we're done with that part, we've done different things. Some days I copy her story in a notebook for her. Another day when the sentences were short, I had her copy her story and draw a picture to go along with it. DD prefers for me to type the story though and then she either draws on the paper or she cuts out the writing, pastes it to another paper, and draws. I didn't do the first publishing activity (kite) as I didn't think it was necessary with all of the typing/drawings we did along the way. We also didn't do a revision of a story. We mainly just focused on the guided writing activities.

I personally think that it's a very gentle introduction to writing. Again, I don't think that I'd do it every day, but DD has liked doing it a few times per week. I sometimes have a hard time making sure that I do enough with her as my oldest needs me more for lessons and my youngest just needs me. :tongue_smilie: Having a program with some ideas right in front of me has been helpful to get me motivated to write with her. If I couldn't tweak it easily, I wouldn't like it as much either, but it's easy to tweak. Also, if I was in a different place in my life, I could probably do this on my own without problem, but right now, I need something that doesn't require much thought from me (other than my superior tweaking abilities :lol:).

I hope you're able to find something that works for your family!