Menu

Do any of you use Brown Rice Flour?

We have been following the SCDiet not for over 5 yrs. Just the last month I have added in organic potatoes and organic brown rice and have not seen any adverse reactions in our ds.

I would like to try brown rice flour as it is so much less expensive that nut flours. Do any of you use this? If so do you have any favorite recipes that you would like to share? Do you have any tips about using this flour? Can you point me to any web sites that would have some good recipes?

I would really appreciate any help/tips you may have.

I use brown rice flour in my gluten-free cooking. Here is an all-purpose 1:1 substitution for wheat flour that I use in a lot of recipes:

2 C brown rice flour

3/4 C cornstarch

2 TBSP tapioca flour

1 tsp xanthan gum

Found it in a gluten-free cooking magazine.

Thank you for sharing. I wouldn't use cornstarch as we avoid corn products and I don't know about the tapioca flour. Xanthan gum is also a corn product I believe. I did read somewhere there is something that you can replace the xanthan gum with. I will have to go back and find it.

I really want some recipes that I can introduce just the rice flour by itself so I know if he is reacting to it or something else.

I will keep this though as if the rice flour works I will introduce the others one at a time.:001_smile:

Thank you for sharing. I wouldn't use cornstarch as we avoid corn products and I don't know about the tapioca flour. Xanthan gum is also a corn product I believe. I did read somewhere there is something that you can replace the xanthan gum with. I will have to go back and find it.

I really want some recipes that I can introduce just the rice flour by itself so I know if he is reacting to it or something else.

I will keep this though as if the rice flour works I will introduce the others one at a time.:001_smile:

Xantham gum can be derived from corn. You can substitute guar gum (from the guar bean) but you need to use twice as much.

I tend to use cornstartch, tapioca starch, arrowroot and potato starch interchangably in mixes such as the one described above.

My gluten free bread is the only recipe I have which uses rice flour without another flour/starch as rice flour on its own it can be gritty. Sorry, I don't know enough about your particular dietary requirements to know if it would be suitable, but I am happy to share it with you if you would like it.

You can substitute with guar gum instead of xantham. Both can cause digestive issues so I did without. Everything falls apart easily without the gums but my kids didn't care what stuff looked like. If you want to add starches (either the gum or starches bring you that much further from SCD obviously), you can do any starch instead of corn. My mix used to be brown rice, tapioca starch, arrowroot starch but I can't remember the proportions I used (those days were 5 years ago now). I think brown rice was 1/2 and then the tapioca followed by arrowroot making the smallest percent but I can't remember! Some use potato starch. If want to experiment with just rice flour you can try that...you'll have a more gritty texture and crumbles for sure but taste might be ok. You can make a cracker of course with any flour alone (and oil) with spice or salt or etc to add taste.

We sort of did away with gf baking when I did SCD (can't do nuts here) and then when we left SCD I never went back except for special occasions like birthdays (when I use a mix) and crackers (any flour and oil) over time. So...if you discover a good tasting recipe that has rice flour or rice and starches alone as your base I'd love to know if you think of sharing!

Edited by sbgrace

If you want to test it out, you can make it into a pancake with an oil you are using, just add oil and water to the brown rice flour and make a thin pancake.

I use it in gravies and for breading, you can't really do too much with it on its own. If you add water and sugar and microwave it, you can make a mochi like treat, but it's an acquired taste, you might not like it.

I do not know about the CSDiet, will you give ideas of what you can eat?

Can you eat sweeteners?

How about other grains? eggs? baking powders?

One thing I thought of was Brown Rice Pudding made with water if you cannot have milk. It would be better with a sweetener and/or an spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg.

You could try it as a coating like bread crumbs on chicken breast or fish with savory seasonings. You would need to make it into a very fine flour for this though, which is possible if you have a mill.

You could use it to thicken veggie soups.

A website the I would highly recommend it Chef Brad's site. He has a Wonderflour recipe that I find VERY easy to use. There is a gluten free one and a regular one. If you can make cakes with nut flours you probably have most of the ingredients to make a muffin recipe.

http://www.chefbrad.com/grain/articles.php?article=Chef Brad's Wonder Flour™&qid=5

HTH!

Thanks everyone for your help.

We can have eggs, yogurt that is processed 24hrs, baking soda for leavening, honey for sweetner.

Up to this time we have not had any grains in our diet at all. I have introduced the br. rice as a side dish and it seems to be ok. Normally for baking I use cashew flour but it has jumped $1 a # in the last 2 months thus my being tempted to give the brown rice flour a try. Still a bit nervous about it as instead of having it as a side dish a couple of times a month it would be a daily thing.

It just occured to me that if you wanted to just keep the cost of nut flours down you could "cut" them with brown rice flour in smaller portions and reduce the cost that way. You would have less brown flour if you were concerned about over doing it but still get the cost down.

Just a thought.

I hope your experimenting is going well!

It just occured to me that if you wanted to just keep the cost of nut flours down you could "cut" them with brown rice flour in smaller portions and reduce the cost that way. You would have less brown flour if you were concerned about over doing it but still get the cost down.

Just a thought.

I hope your experimenting is going well!

Thanks, I have been toying with this idea. Yes, it is the cost of the Cashews that is getting a bit much. We go through a lot as it is now and really need to be able to cut somewhere. Beings we have been able to use Organic Brown Rice lately I was thinking that possibly the Brown Rice flour would be an option for us.

I haven't really had much time to do any experimenting but I am hoping to make a batch of cookies tomorrow and I think I will use 1/2 and 1/2.