Menu

College music audition attire

Beebalm

We're in the middle of college auditions...here's my question. We are to show up and be given a time for dd to audition. She's planning to wear a simple classic black dress, sleeveless, but relatively conservative....hoping for dressy but not too.....it may actually be in the morning, we just don't know. Any experience? I don't think slacks are dressy enough. (Her teacher is a guy and just no help.) :confused:

I haven't been the parent for any, but all music students I saw auditioning were in concert attire - suits for the guys and nice dresses for the ladies. I don't recall anything sleeveless, but I also wasn't paying that close attention. I was mainly curious as to why certain students were "dressed up" at times when others weren't and were told they were "auditioning for music."

For an audition, it's nice to wear concert attire.

The definition of concert attire varies pretty widely. My 18 yo dd is a college freshman violin performance major, and concert attire for her is black pants/black shirt. Definitely not the same thing as recital attire, which could be a gown, a dress, or pants, depending on the type of recital.

I had two dd's auditioning for university music programs last year. String players (including my dd) often wore dress pants, dress shoes, and a nice sweater, while vocalists were more likely to wear dresses/skirts (other dd) with nylons and moderate heels.

Between the two girls, here is a list of schools where they auditioned....mostly midwest, only one conservatory. YMMV depending on region and type of school.......Vanderbilt U., DePaul U., Case Western U., Otterbein U., Kent State U., Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Wright State U.

I think the most important thing is that your dd "dress up" (whatever that means to her), and that she feels her clothing is true to who she is. She wants to be comfortable so that audition nerves aren't any worse than they already will be.

Thanks for your comments....we had to leave before I got feedback but she was appropriately dressed. All went well and I'm SO glad it's done! She looked nice and fit in fine. This is the first time we've been through this nerve-wracking process. I have great respect and admiration for these young musicians who have worked so hard for so many years. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for your comments....we had to leave before I got feedback but she was appropriately dressed. All went well and I'm SO glad it's done! She looked nice and fit in fine. This is the first time we've been through this nerve-wracking process. I have great respect and admiration for these young musicians who have worked so hard for so many years. Thanks again for your help.

Glad it went well!