Menu

Classical Conversations Questions

Amy loves Bud

I have a fairly good idea of what goes on, but have two questions.

First, the sight says it starts at K4. What do they do at the K4 level, and are there any prerequisites to join at this age (ability to read, etc.)

Second, I know that this is a Christian organization, but how much is it threaded throughout the curriculum (other than the obvious Bible memory)?

Thanks!

There are no prereqs for a four year old to join. The four year olds learn the same memory work as sixth graders (history sentences, timeline cards, science facts, etc). However, a teacher at the k4 level should make it very active. DD's class plays musical chairs to practice facts, sings the history sentences, does jumping jacks while skip counting, etc. A lot of the material will fly over a four year old's head... however, I have been really impressed at how much my THREE year old has learned this year from practicing with big sister.

Besides scripture memory, the veritas timeline cards include biblical events (creation, sodom and gomorrah, hagar and ishmael, birth and sacrifice of isaac, etc). That is the only other place I see religious ideas included.

HTH!

Our CC group is very religious focused: Devotional every morning to start the day, prayer at the end of the day, etc. However, the CC group about 20 minutes away is not religious focused at all other than what is in the curriculum, ie. the memory work and Veritas cards. I think that each group is different when it comes to how "religious" it is based on the CC director's leadership. Ask the director or ask if you can come for a day to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest trying to locate an Info Meeting in your area and attending. I went to my first one last month and learned a lot more than I ever could glean from the website or catalog. Check the CC website for your area. If nothing is listed, contact the State Manager and request one. That worked for me! We are hoping to get a CC started in my area in the fall, my dd and I are excited!

question about the memory work CDs are they the same as the cd's veritas press sells to go along with the cards?

No, the memory work CDs are for the CC memory work -- history sentences, geography, Latin, science facts, etc. The VP cards are used in a different manner, as the kids in CC learn 8 cards a week for 20 weeks, with hand motions to help them remember.