Menu

rubricks for HS vrs. private school

How to decide?

Kids are in small private school . We all LOVE IT.

It is beautiful for the sabbatical I wanted it to be. Now they are wanting to stay.

What would you use to compare Hsing to a particular private school.

HOW would you campare academics other than SAT scores.

they took them last year and I can have them take them again. I expect Math to go down because I ( uhm) taught to the test the last month before.

I have low energy so school had gotten to just feeling like we were slogging through a check list. They are delighted to get up and go. No complaints at all in the mornings. Teacher says ds 10 can bring a video player and do Chalkdust there.

I recon I could afterschool 20 minutes of Latin ( a big concenr that they aren't getting any)

A good day at home is more academically rigourous( ugh, I can't spell) than a good day at the school. a bad day at home, less so.

non-tangables. friends, group work, easy for me.

in addition to SAT, how would y'all compare?

~ christine in al

I would compare benefits of each. How much does it cost you? What are you foregoing because of the cost? Is it vacations, retirement, college savings, what? Then I would look and think whether it is worth it. It may be or it may not be.

Over here, there was no choice for us. Older dd wanted homeschooling and so did younger but even if I wanted to send younger to private, it would have been too expensive. We will reassess when we move. I know in our case, I have to find a vibrant homeschool community, like I have here and did in Florida, or she has to go to some type of school.

How to decide?

Kids are in small private school . We all LOVE IT.

It is beautiful for the sabbatical I wanted it to be. Now they are wanting to stay.

What would you use to compare Hsing to a particular private school.

HOW would you campare academics other than SAT scores.

they took them last year and I can have them take them again. I expect Math to go down because I ( uhm) taught to the test the last month before.

I have low energy so school had gotten to just feeling like we were slogging through a check list. They are delighted to get up and go. No complaints at all in the mornings. Teacher says ds 10 can bring a video player and do Chalkdust there.

I recon I could afterschool 20 minutes of Latin ( a big concenr that they aren't getting any)

A good day at home is more academically rigourous( ugh, I can't spell) than a good day at the school. a bad day at home, less so.

non-tangables. friends, group work, easy for me.

in addition to SAT, how would y'all compare?

~ christine in al

My situation is completely different than yours. My DS's goal was to attend a specific all boys Catholic school for high school.

The social aspect has been a struggle. (He was the target of bullies.)

The positive things I CANNOT replicate at home are the relationships he has developed with his teachers. Outstanding, wonderful Catholic men...lay teachers, deacons, brothers, priests...I could not have introduced him to so many good role models that he could develop relationships with if he were at home.

He is also receiving a rigourous education.

HTH

Edited by unsinkable
cuz I can't sepll

I would compare in a holistic way. For example, with each option, how are they doing overall? How are you doing overall? How is your whole family doing overall? Getting to nit picky about each little thing that's different, absent, etc. can throw you off track. Also, keep in mind you, your husband's, and your children's end goals. Do they want to go to college, seminary, master a trade, master an art, master a sport...? What would be the best preparation for that?

transient Chris, cost is high,

dh and I have agreed that if we could find the money fo rthem to go, we can find at least a portion of that for more college and retirement savings.

JenniferB, I love the holistic outlook. kids very happy, I'm very happy, ( SO glad to not be having school arguments)

husband very happy.

long range goals for ds is a boarding highschool school for math and science. I do not think he will make it in if he stays at private school for several years, We are only considering for next year, 6th grade and only if he can successfully work the Chalkdust program at school ( teacher will allow for time, but I can't expect instruction from her,, it's my program choice ) dh and I have said I might could afterschool Latin 20 minutes everyday.

unsinkable.

laughing, we aren't Catholic, but dh says what I want is nuns.

What I REALLY want is classical subjects taught in a Montesorri method.

thanks all.~c.