Menu

Need photo ID for SAT?

OK, this is all new to us (duh!)

My 15 yo son does not have a driver's license or passport, so do I need to go buy a photo ID to take the SAT? Will anything else work? I called the College Board, but they seemed clueless about homeschoolers and kids that don't yet drive.

Thanks,

Tracie

We went the route of a state-issued ID from the local motor vehicle division. I far preferred doing that than to get there and have the SAT overseer reject a home-made ID and lose our $50 fee for the SAT. (Plus all the time invested in preparing, plus having to re-schedule and re-prepare...)

Once we made sure we had the paperwork needed, it only took about 1 hour of our time, and cost somewhere between $10-15. Now DS (who is NOT interested in driving at this time), has official ID for banking and other purposes, too.

As previous poster mentioned, for a state-issued ID, you will need a CERTIFIED birth certificate (which you'll need anyways at SOME point (driver's license, play on a sports team, passport, etc.)). Plan on investing a separate half a day of your time in getting that. I went ahead and paid the extra and got TWO copies for EVERYBODY in the family at that time, so hopefully we'll never have to spend the time to do that again. ;)

BEST of luck in getting appropriate ID, and on the SAT! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

you had to glue in a picture of your kid, they sign it and you get it notorized (I had someone at work do it for free). I hoping it will work. The link to the form is here. For me this was a lot easier than having to take dd to the MVB

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat_student_id_form.pdf

The link didn't work, but I searched the College Board website, and they do have a student ID form. Don't know why they didn't tell me that on the phone. Thanks for the idea. Texas DMV offices are crazy!

When I took the SAT back in 2006 or 2007, I had to show my photo ID at the beginning and *again* after the break.

I would go ahead and get a state photo ID, because it works for things like flying, bank accounts, etc. as well. I flew several times before I turned 18. Sometimes I needed to show my ID and sometimes I didn't. So it's good to have if there's any chance he'll be needing to fly before he gets his DL. Also, some places will ask for ID along with debit/credit card, if your ds has one or may have one in the near future.

My son used his state ID card to take his tests. You can get it from the Dept of Motor Vehicles. Call them before you go because he will need certain forms of verification (birth cert etc-can't remember what we needed).

We went the route of a state-issued ID from the local motor vehicle division.

In MA I was told that you cannot get a state issued ID for someone under the age of 16 when I asked about it, so I'd check wth your state first. Dd isn't going to take the SAT until she's 17, so hopefully she'll have her driver's licence first.

Any school picture ID will work. Here's one for free. :)

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/homeschool-id/

This turned out pretty nice. Kinda homeschoolish. Thank you.

I have found that the elusive driver's license is the ultimate carrot. Until school starts getting completed on time - no driver's license. Of course, I may end up shuttling him to his college classes... and first job :lol: