Menu

Going out of my mind......ADHD child

I was trying to think of where I could post this where anyone would remotely understand. This was the only forum that I could come up with. We are in the process of getting my oldest DD diagnosed with ADHD. The doctor we are seeing has said that she is, but we are still going through the intake process as the dr has just started seeing our DD. This school year (mind you, I am 31 weeks pregnant which I know has contributed to this) has been excruciatingly painful at least 80% of the time. Her distractability isn't even the worst of it. She has to be walked through every single step of every single project. She refuses to do any of it on her own. She is in a classical style hybrid homeschooling program. She is at school 2 days a week and at home 3 days a week. The teachers send home assignments for her to do. I love the program for her and I really think it is the best place for her, but most days I have to sit by her and watch her do everything. I walk her through every project. Basically anything that requires some thinking she doesn't want a part of. I guess this is more than a vent than anything. We are in the midst of writing a fictional story and a science project. I feel a little overwhelmed by both of the projects plus regular school. I am homeschooling a 1st grader through a different program and have a 3 year old so it really is impossible for me to spend all of my time with her. I guess this is more of a vent than anything. If anyone has any suggestions that have worked for their own circumstances, they are more than welcome. This was the only place that I could think of that would have anyone understand where I am coming from. :)

My oldest is 13, has Asperger's syndrome (mild), ADD (severe), and Epilepsy. I understand. However, I was a totally no-med kind of mom, until I had a kid that just cannot function without it!

When he doesn't take his ADD meds his Asperger's syndrome symptoms are SOOOOO much worse. When he does take the medication, he can sit down, start and FINISH a task, do a test, write a paragraph, do a math lesson etc, with only a couple reminders to stay on task.

I am telling you this because there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. There are answers. I hated the idea of "drugging" my kid, afraid of squashing his personality etc, but we have seen him come alive on medication. A while ago I asked him to describe to me how he feels on days he doesn't take his medication and his description left me with horrible guilt that I didn't start medication much sooner. He said that on days he doesn't take his medication it is like "A whole bunch of ideas are all running around in my head shouting, wanting me to pay attention to them. But when I try to pay attention to one idea or write it down on the paper, the others get in the way and I cannot remember the one I was trying to write down".

I am an adult, functioning with ADD and take occasional medication myself, if I am having "one of those days" where I run 90 mph but never get anywhere....but I didn't start taking meds until after we started Conner and the amount of productivity I have with medication amazes me as well...but I have never thought about it in the way he phrased it.

Maybe, just having her try to describe to you what is going on in her mind will help you empathize with her. It won't fix the frustration, but it might help you make it through!

:grouphug:

If anyone has any suggestions that have worked for their own circumstances, they are more than welcome. This was the only place that I could think of that would have anyone understand where I am coming from. :)

:grouphug: I completely understand. :grouphug:

Have you tried headphones and music for her? With some kids, having the music going directly in their ears helps them focus in and complete a task. It's not a miracle cure, but might get you through another day or two.

My oldest is 13, has Asperger's syndrome (mild), ADD (severe), and Epilepsy. I understand. However, I was a totally no-med kind of mom, until I had a kid that just cannot function without it!

When he doesn't take his ADD meds his Asperger's syndrome symptoms are SOOOOO much worse. When he does take the medication, he can sit down, start and FINISH a task, do a test, write a paragraph, do a math lesson etc, with only a couple reminders to stay on task.

I was that mom too.. I was completely against meds.. then I had a child who could not function without them.. Severe OCD bought us a Zoloft prescription.. Severe ADHD bought us Concerta. And I'm not exaggerating when I say severe. It was SEVERE.

We did everything possible to avoid meds.. Biomedical intervention, supplements, therapies.. she improved with all of those things and we still continue with them, but in the end, meds were the only thing that stabilized her and kept us all sane.

My dd is only 6 and we are also at the beginning of all this though I knew around age 3 something was starting to go awry with her. I am wondering about meds as well. The poor thing has such sensory and attention issues that she had to begin homeschooling for her own sake and the school's OT eval lady agreed since the school refused accommodations for now. But it is darn near impossible. She wants to "school" But then wants to do her own thing when we sit down to a learning thing. Her private OT sometimes uses the headphones and it works well enough that when I get some money I am going to try it at home. Also weighted vests have helped and I thought they were barbaric in the beginning. Again we do not have them at home...yet.

Venting is why I joined this forum, so Please Do! As feel better knowing others are going through similar experiences!:grouphug:

My oldest was not formally Dx with ADHD and Bipolar until after she had a baby at 16. Lord knows the amount of pain and struggle she would have avoided if Dx early enough and put on proper meds then!

She just graduated through NARHS and it was the best!

Edited by Momto4nmore
wanted to add about oldest dd

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the support. We have an official diagnosis of ADHD-Inattentive and today is her first day of medication. Today is a homeschool day (she spends two days a week at school) and we are an hour into it and she has done more than she would normally do all morning. She decided she wanted to start reading at 8am when we normally start school at 9am. This may just end up working out. I'm just hoping and praying for no major side effects. I was researching some last night and the possible side effects were pretty scary. The whole process has just been a little overwhelming.

Hello,

I have a son who is 10 1/2, and we started homeschooling in September. It is pretty bad lately. Partly cabin fever, partly puberty, partly ADHD/Anxiety. He fights everything and is upset/angry at every the announcement of every assignment.

We are trying to get him off of sugar. I say trying because I fail sometimes and because sometimes socially there's sugar and I don't want to do that to him.

I just adjusted all of his vitamins (I hadn't realized his doses were too low for his weight), and we're adding tyrisone -- my husband just walked in with the package. It's a non-essential amino acid that I heard might help.

I am one of those avoid-the-meds moms, but I am holding on by a thread. I am happy for both of you that they seem to be helping! Anyway, I empathize, it is so hard. Today, he was working on copying a rough draft of a simple thank you letter. Every time I stepped away, he would stop and stare. It is so hard for me not to get frustrated with him!

Feel free to PM anytime, you are not alone!

Kris

Hello,

We are trying to get him off of sugar. I say trying because I fail sometimes and because sometimes socially there's sugar and I don't want to do that to him.

I just adjusted all of his vitamins (I hadn't realized his doses were too low for his weight), and we're adding tyrisone -- my husband just walked in with the package. It's a non-essential amino acid that I heard might help.

Thanks so much for posting! It does make me feel better that there are other moms going through exactly the same thing. Getting so overwhelmed with my DD can make me feel like such a bad mom.

I was going to suggest the book http://www.amazon.com/Autism-ADHD-Diet-Step-Step/dp/1402218451. It is very interesting to find out about some of the things that can set kids off. I found it very interesting and helpful for pursuing a diet that will be the most helpful to not only my DD, but the rest of my family.

I was going to suggest the book http://www.amazon.com/Autism-ADHD-Diet-Step-Step/dp/1402218451. It is very interesting to find out about some of the things that can set kids off. I found it very interesting and helpful for pursuing a diet that will be the most helpful to not only my DD, but the rest of my family.

I have this book and it is fantastic! I have chatted with the author on a GFCF group I am on. She has almost completely recovered her son from all of his autistic symptoms.

Another good book to read is Healing the New Childhood Epidemics http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Childhood-Epidemics-Groundbreaking/dp/0345494512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296883807&sr=8-1

Hugs. My DD has not been diagnosed because our pediatrician says we can not have her evaluated until she is school age. Her birthday is in Oct so she will not start kindy until the fall. In the meantime, I have know since she was 18 months old that she was different than other children. Never slept, never still, constant activity and many many meltdowns.

She went to preschool last year and I noticed a correlation between the days she went and the foods that were served. One example: cupcakes. For a 3 year old class there were often bright blue cupcakes or purple cupcakes and or brightly colored something.

I found the Feingold diet this way. After the first 4 days my DD slept through the night! She had done that maybe 6 times in 4 years! She was more focused and didn't melt down if her sock got a wrinkle. It was amazing. We are now 100% Feingold family and could not be happier. She is reading, LOVES math and will entertain herself without running, jumping, disobeying, and she sleeps all night every night. No more night terrors. It has been a true miracle.

I am not advocating for or against medicine. That is a choice only you and your family can make but I wanted to tell you about our success story and send you words of encouragement.

Congrats on your new baby too.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I just want to encourage you. When my ds was in 5th grade, I had to sit beside him every moment of every day. If I wasn't there, he wasn't working. He had been in ps and the same applied there. He could do all the work, but only with someone glued to his shoulder to keep him on task.

Now, he's in 8th grade. He spends more time working independently than he does with me. He is not and has never been medicated. Maturity did it and all the hours that we spent working together. He also came to a point that he wanted more independence and started working for it.

I hope the meds help, but know there is hope whatever route you choose.