Menu

Help - Scout Committee Advice Needed (long)

Ok - I need some input from people who are outside of the situation.

I am the new committee chair for our troop. I've been in charge for about 3 months now. I am in "repair" mode as our former committee chair - with whom I am good friends with - finally admitted he had dropped the ball and couldn't keep it up.

One of the issues that has been a long term problem (over two years) is our awards and advancements person. She does not seem to keep good records, misses kids' advancements, and now - we are discovering that while we have paid for Troopmaster.Web (a record keeping program) - she has never even accessed it. Now - that's a lot of money for a troop to just throw away.... I have been approached by our Scoutmaster, and had a long (3 hour) discussion last night with our District Executive. The District Exec. feels that I need to remove her from the position immediately. Yeah - fire a volunteer who has been with the troop for 5 years... I've only been there for a little over 1. I can see a revolt forming.

I can ask her, privately, to step down gracefully, and we can both tell the committee she approached me for various reasons, but I doubt it would stay a private issue. She would certainly tell her DH who is also active in the troop.... She has been dishonest with me about some things - I haven't called her on it because I know she is panicking that someone is "catching" her in the hole she has dug herself into. I know it is nothing malicious - she has had a tough couple of years.

There are other issues, but I won't get into that.

So, what do I do???? I have no problem doing what is right, but there is something in my gut that feels it would be wrong to be that harsh - no matter how badly she has messed up. I have always backed her up 100%, and at this point she has no idea that I have discussed anything with the Council, or am considerring this.

As of now, she is coming over tomorrow to go through all the Scout files and talk to Troopmaster on the phone (it's in her name - they won't talk to me). I am currently inclined to help her clean up the mess, and then keep a very close eye on all of the Scout records - the web based Troopmaster files will be accessible to all of the committee and the Scoutmasters. Of course, I'll make it sound like I'm just doing it to help....

Perhaps after everything on the web is up and running, and she is caught up, she will be more effective at her position.... The Distric Exec feels she has ample time to fix things - but honestly, I don't think anyone has ever offerred her help to catch up, and maybe that's all she needs....

<raises hand> Another mom who's about to take over as Committee Chair of a troop in a challenging political situation. I know where you're at.

Is there another parent in the troop that needs a job, who could assist her? Perhaps, as new CC, it's a logical time for you to start implementing a policy that officer positions such as Advancement, Treasurer etc. all have assistants? They are big jobs under the best of circumstances, and ones that could benefit from help and a level of transparency. What is your troop's schedule for committee elections? According to the Troop Committee Guidebook, they should be held every year around rechartering time - so if you're not already doing that and you think it would be good for your troop (or some variation thereof; perhaps every two years), now would be a good time to do that as well. I'm thinking you can use your newness to your advantage to make some policy changes that improve the troop committee overall, while also giving cover so that you don't have to single this person out.

Or maybe none of that would work in your situation, in which case feel free to disregard. ;) But you've got my sympathy, either way.

Thanks-

Sadly, we are a troop that struggles to fill committee positions :( I would love elections, however, there isn't anyone to elect at this point. I have had to pull teeth to get a secretary and a new treasurer (our old treasurer's son matriculated out). I do think the assistant idea might be feasible..... I could offer it to all positions, and offer to be hers... Perhaps the other parents who hesitate to take on a full time roll would be willing to just back someone up.

Ug.

<raises hand> Another mom who's about to take over as Committee Chair of a troop in a challenging political situation. I know where you're at.

Is there another parent in the troop that needs a job, who could assist her? Perhaps, as new CC, it's a logical time for you to start implementing a policy that officer positions such as Advancement, Treasurer etc. all have assistants? They are big jobs under the best of circumstances, and ones that could benefit from help and a level of transparency. What is your troop's schedule for committee elections? According to the Troop Committee Guidebook, they should be held every year around rechartering time - so if you're not already doing that and you think it would be good for your troop (or some variation thereof; perhaps every two years), now would be a good time to do that as well. I'm thinking you can use your newness to your advantage to make some policy changes that improve the troop committee overall, while also giving cover so that you don't have to single this person out.

Or maybe none of that would work in your situation, in which case feel free to disregard. ;) But you've got my sympathy, either way.

:iagree: That was my first thought - if it is too much for her, find someone to "assist" her.

Committee Chair of a Cub Pack here. :lol:

I would be honest with her. Say that you're concerned about the records, and that you want to help her get everything up in running in Troopmaster IF she wants to stay as the advancements person. She might want an out.

But if she does want to do it, then I would do what you're thinking. Get logged in to Troopmaster. You need to have the dotnet version. Then add yourself, the Scoutmaster, and her onto it. Once you've updated all the boy's records it really is a very easy program to use. There is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning and maybe she just didn't know where to start.

The first few months of a new advancements person I was able to go in and double check what she entered and just be sure the right things were being ordered, and so forth.

Once she uses it she'll find keeping the records so much easier.

I know when I took over, the "old" leaders were apprehensive about me. I came in with a bang, but I didn't make any changes in leadership for a while. In fact I've only made one this past summer and it was NEEDED desperately but we are also military and bad leaders move eventually. :D

Plus the way I see it, as the CC, one of your roles is to make sure that your committee members are trained and have the tools needed to do their jobs. You don't know that someone else will be better really...I'd just work with her.

If the District Exec says she needs to go, she needs to go. The DE has the authority to take over the Committee, and run it until he/she feels it is doing right by BSA. Saw it happen to a pack (not ours) when we lived in Georgia. The Committee did not follow the DE's recs, and the DE took over. He had our pack help the other pack. It was in the best interest of the Pack, and the pack flourished. That said, do it with kindness. And you should not be anyone's assistant. Your job is big enough, and you need to support all of the positions.

And you should not be anyone's assistant. Your job is big enough, and you need to support all of the positions.

Yes, I was going to say exactly this. Not only is your job more than big enough, but if the other parents perceive that you're willing to do it all... you'll find yourself doing it all. (Ask me, as a former Pack Committee Chair, how I know this. ;))

A troop can't run without appropriate parental involvement. In our troop, it is written in the by-laws that EVERY parent (or guardian/grandparent/adult friend) takes on a job - at least one parent from each family, period. Nobody gets to sit on the sidelines and have their boy participate without contributing to the success of the group. I don't know what your troop situation is, but you may need to call in your COR and DE to help make your other parents understand that they need to step up. If your troop is so small that there's just not enough bodies, can you get the DE's help to start recruiting? (And then make sure that parent involvement policy is in place, and that you've got your Scoutmaster's support.)

I know it's hard, but put your foot down about getting more volunteers; your troop will be so much the better for it. (And once you've got 'em, get. them. trained.)

I would be honest and upfront with her in private and state the problem as you saw it. Offer your suggestions to solve and ask for her suggestions. Ask her how she thinks the two of you can best solve the problem. If her suggestions are workable for you do them. If not you can offer her to pick from a few of your choices.