Menu

Language Arts

joannqn

I've been researching and thinking and trying to figure out what to do for my 3rd grader next year for language arts, which is her strong subject. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should look at...both what curricula and what levels might work, if you could, please. I'm worried that I advance too high, she'll have gaps but she also hates having to repeat everything she knows. I think she learned 2 whole things this past year in grammer with everything else being review of things she didn't need to review.

So, here's what I know. She's 8 and is finishing up 3rd grade. She correctly spelled 286 3rd grade spelling words out of 300 without so much as glancing at the word lists before I tested her. Her standardized tests results (it was an adaptive test) put her at a 9th grade reading level and above 10th grade language usage level. She loves to write fiction and is currently working on a story that is 14 pages long so far. Her writing is not typical 8 year old writing. I have never taught her writing, she just naturally gets it. She's never been taught outlines, character development, forming paragraphs, persuasive and expository writing, etc.

I have IEW and SWI for next year. But what would you recommend for spelling, word study, grammar type stuff?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Just passing through here, but off the top of my head....

For spelling, any curriculum which is an ongoing list and you place the child wherever they need to be. Spelling Power is one that comes to mind, because I've used it and I know it goes through 12th grade level words.

Word Study, though I've not used it and we are dealing with the other end of the language processing (high spelling and reading abilities, but low processing and comprehension skills), off the top of my head I think of SWB's recommendation of Vocabulary From Classical Roots.

For Grammar, I'd never recommend anything but Rod & Staff. Call them and let them help you place her in the level where she should start. I'd think probably 4th or 5th grade; R&S is one that is usually used a level "behind" the student. My grammar star is right on track with it, and going through it quickly.

HTH! Just a few suggestions as I'm getting tired and headed to bed. LOL

Thanks! I knew you would have some ideas. I'll look at the Michael Clay Thompson stuff more when I have a free moment. It looks interesting just from the glance I got at it this morning.

It never occurred to me to call Rod and Staff for placement ideas. I'm hoping they'll be at our homeschool convention in June so I can take a close look at it and ask about placement.

I've thought about adding a foreign language. My husband would prefer I teach Spanish, if we add foreign language though. I'm not sure if I could get away with doing both with my daughter since she's so use to having to put forth so little effort. I don't want to overwhelm her by both doing harder work and more work.

I've been thinking about Spelling Power. I'm stuck between a higher level of Spelling Workout, Spelling Power, and Vocabulary from Latin Roots as a spelling/vocabulary combo. I hate being so indecisive.

I need to find out what is going to be at the convention. I really need to be able to see and go through stuff to decide. But you've given me some great places to start. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that with the various elementary Michael Clay Thompson series, you need only purchase the TM's; the student text is included. It's nice to have a student edition of the Practice books, but not necessary.