Menu

DD8 has times of just not feeling good...

but, she doesn't always get sick. She says she has "malazy". She heard me say "malaise" one time and that's what she's called it ever since. Anyway, it lasts for the evening or for a few hours. Rarely does it last longer than that. It hits her pretty quick and she just doesn't feel good, feels weak, tired and sometimes her stomach hurts and sometimes she has a headache. She has a history of strep throat, but it's been a long time since she's had it, but her stomach usually hurts with it. However, her throat doesn't hurt. Her symptoms aren't definitive of anything specific. She'll do this periodically. For example, she did it a few months ago and then again today. Usually, she's better by morning. I even took her in to the dr. a few months ago and had blood work done just to see if there was something going on. But, things looked normal, no abnormal things, no low iron, nothing out of the ordinary. What does this sound like to you? She could very well be getting sick tonight. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

but, she doesn't always get sick. She says she has "malazy". She heard me say "malaise" one time and that's what she's called it ever since. Anyway, it lasts for the evening or for a few hours. Rarely does it last longer than that. It hits her pretty quick and she just doesn't feel good, feels weak, tired and sometimes her stomach hurts and sometimes she has a headache. She has a history of strep throat, but it's been a long time since she's had it, but her stomach usually hurts with it. However, her throat doesn't hurt. Her symptoms aren't definitive of anything specific. She'll do this periodically. For example, she did it a few months ago and then again today. Usually, she's better by morning. I even took her in to the dr. a few months ago and had blood work done just to see if there was something going on. But, things looked normal, no abnormal things, no low iron, nothing out of the ordinary. What does this sound like to you? She could very well be getting sick tonight. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Another vote for blood sugar. Did the bloodwork include a blood glucose level?

And I think "malazy" is my new favorite word:001_smile:.

Good luck,

lisa

My thoughts were low blood sugar or anemia. I was surprised when the results came back fine. They checked blood sugar and it was normal and iron levels were normal too. The dr. said we could consider her clinically low iron or anemic and clinically hypoglycemic since the blood test results didn't show anything but she is effected with those type of sypmtoms. She said to treat her with more iron-type foods, Pediasure, more protein, no sugary type snacks on an empty stomach, etc.

However, I spoke too soon on this occasion of "malazy" because she has vomited once and has a low grade fever and chills. :( I can't help but think of whose next...the 10 year old or the 9 month old...

My dd had tummy aches on and off for YEARS...finally as a teen she was diagnosed with a bad gall bladder - it was malformed and full of stones.

She had it removed when she was 16 last year (has it been a year already?!) and has had NO tummy troubles since (unless she overdoes the fatty foods).

Just a thought....does she get the sick feeling after a meal with lots of fat in it???? If so, check the gall bladder.

Ds age 12 just went through this. It started in October and for him it was accompanied by some weight loss which was truly frightening. This child is already skinny to the point of being scary. Our doctor couldn't find anything he thought looked suspicious, but wanted us to put ds on a weight gain diet. This really helped a lot. We might not have gotten a diagnosis if I hadn't been having a conversation with my aunt and she reminded me that her son, my younger cousin went through the same thing at the same age and has been on a special diet ever since. He has a severe metabolic disorder - his metabolism runs too fast, like a bullet train, and no medications slow it down so without a high fat, high protein, high fiber diet that is absolutely religiously observed, he has dangerously low blood sugar. She pointed me to the right resources and ds was diagnosed.

If you suspect low blood sugar and want to know more, I'd be happy to share.

Faith

Ds age 12 just went through this. It started in October and for him it was accompanied by some weight loss which was truly frightening. This child is already skinny to the point of being scary. Our doctor couldn't find anything he thought looked suspicious, but wanted us to put ds on a weight gain diet. This really helped a lot. We might not have gotten a diagnosis if I hadn't been having a conversation with my aunt and she reminded me that her son, my younger cousin went through the same thing at the same age and has been on a special diet ever since. He has a severe metabolic disorder - his metabolism runs too fast, like a bullet train, and no medications slow it down so without a high fat, high protein, high fiber diet that is absolutely religiously observed, he has dangerously low blood sugar. She pointed me to the right resources and ds was diagnosed.

If you suspect low blood sugar and want to know more, I'd be happy to share.

Faith

This is interesting. My dd fits a lot of this. She is skinny, but not scary skinny. She's a healthy weight and tall, too. My husband has always talked about how skinny she is. However, I was like that when I was younger so I don't worry about it. Believe me, the chub catches up with us, especially when hormones hit! :lol: Anyway, she is hungry often. I've wondered about low blood sugar since when those episodes happen, they happen quickly and she gets weak and almost has that passing out look to her. She's also done it after having something sugary on an empty stomach. I remember one episode when we were at a friends house and we left close to 10pm. The kids had played a lot and of course dinner had been earlier in the evening, so her tummy wasn't too full. She ate a snack of a small cookie bag like Chips Ahoy or something and a juice box. By the time we got in the van (within 15 minutes or so), she said she didn't feel good and weak and like she wanted to pass out. It was after that episode that I took her to the dr. and had blood work done. But, like I said before, the blood tests showed everything was fine and the dr. said that even though the blood tests showed nothing, she would be considered clinical since she experiences symptoms. Unfortunately, since these episodes don't happen too often, I haven't done a good job of giving her good snacks since it's not something we deal with everyday. In fact, the episode I mentioned above is the most serious one she's had, so that's not typical. I would say she has these type of episodes 4-6 times a year, if I had to put a number to it.

What types of food do you have him eat? I was given a peanut butter ball recipe that was really good. I need to keep those around so she can have something like that to eat. I need other ideas, though and what else you might do. I can see if that helps her. Thanks!

My thoughts were low blood sugar or anemia. I was surprised when the results came back fine. They checked blood sugar and it was normal and iron levels were normal too. The dr. said we could consider her clinically low iron or anemic and clinically hypoglycemic since the blood test results didn't show anything but she is effected with those type of sypmtoms. She said to treat her with more iron-type foods, Pediasure, more protein, no sugary type snacks on an empty stomach, etc.

However, I spoke too soon on this occasion of "malazy" because she has vomited once and has a low grade fever and chills. :( I can't help but think of whose next...the 10 year old or the 9 month old...

Well, she only vomited that one time and is showing signs of strep, but without the sore throat. Every other symptoms fits and this is how she acts when she has strep. Strange, though, that her throat is not sore or with white spots. I know our dr. said that strep doesn't always present with a sore throat, although that is the most common. Have any of you had that experience? She normally has the sore throat. And, of course, it could be something else.