Menu

Clothing issues

DawnM

UGH!

It is so hard to find clothing for my Aspie. What he agrees to in the store may not be what he will wear after they are washed or whatever.

We try to buy used/second hand and I was blessed with being able to buy 5 pairs of jeans for $3 each from a woman on a local Mom's group.

He only wants to wear non fitting jeans.....they have to be a big big to the point where he is constantly pulling them up (won't wear a belt), and they have to be somewhat thin. Heavy/thick jeans are too "stiff" and cumbersome.

I got him 3 pairs of sweats. He only really likes/wears one pair. He will wear the others if the favorites are in the wash, but as soon as they come out, he switches!

He is very picky about other clothing items as well.....only loose fitting, not too many buttons on shirts.

The only item he really doesn't like but that he will wear without complaining, is his scout uniform!

Thankfully, I don't spend a whole lot on his clothing if I don't have to and can find used.....but I HATE wasting clothing.

Then my youngest won't wear anything with a button, has to be snap closure.....but his is a medical issue (surgeries on hands) and his dexterity is the problem, so I do understand that, but it makes it hard to hand me down to him.

Just a little morning vent as another "I don't like those pants" ensued.

What clothing issues do you all have?

Dawn

UGH!

It is so hard to find clothing for my Aspie. What he agrees to in the store may not be what he will wear after they are washed or whatever.

We try to buy used/second hand and I was blessed with being able to buy 5 pairs of jeans for $3 each from a woman on a local Mom's group.

He only wants to wear non fitting jeans.....they have to be a big big to the point where he is constantly pulling them up (won't wear a belt), and they have to be somewhat thin. Heavy/thick jeans are too "stiff" and cumbersome.

I got him 3 pairs of sweats. He only really likes/wears one pair. He will wear the others if the favorites are in the wash, but as soon as they come out, he switches!

He is very picky about other clothing items as well.....only loose fitting, not too many buttons on shirts.

The only item he really doesn't like but that he will wear without complaining, is his scout uniform!

Thankfully, I don't spend a whole lot on his clothing if I don't have to and can find used.....but I HATE wasting clothing.

Then my youngest won't wear anything with a button, has to be snap closure.....but his is a medical issue (surgeries on hands) and his dexterity is the problem, so I do understand that, but it makes it hard to hand me down to him.

Just a little morning vent as another "I don't like those pants" ensued.

What clothing issues do you all have?

Dawn

She wants her clothes to be TIGHT! (Maybe a legacy of the therapeutic "Bear Hug" vest?) She's 14, so that's not such a great idea. And she rolls her pants up way over her ankles like she's expecting a flood. :lol:

I've spent years scouring the bargain racks for clothes (she used to systematically wreck her clothes, unravel her socks, etc.). I saw some jeans online for $8 and bought 10 pairs at once. They've lasted a while. Then I introduced her to sock knitting and that finally cured her of ripping socks apart because she made them. So I think the socks are safe at last. But then she started making these TIGHT TIGHT sweaters. So the battle continues...

I can easily imagine her going around all the time in a scout uniform or some other favorite outfit. :) I've dug in my heels over the years, because left to her own devices, that's what she'd do, without a doubt.

The only issue we have now with ds is socks. They can't be too floppy or have large seams by the toes. He used to dislike tight jeans, sweaters, anything too itchy or stiff, etc. What helped a lot when he was younger was the brushing our OT taught us. If your son is older, it is something he could do himself, but it needs to be taught by an OT. Strangely, a lot of ds's sensory issues disappeared when he went on Prozac. :confused: I dislike stiff jeans, floppy socks, or non-cotton sweaters.

My son w/Down syndrome has a big belly and very short legs. So we have to get much larger pants and hem everything. As I am still dressing him, the snaps/buttons are not an issue yet, but I am sure that in a few years he will need more elastic-waist things, as his dexterity may not be that strong.

On the other hand, my typical seven-year-old hates snaps/buttons on pants and jeans. Luckily the "jeggings" and leggings are in style for girls right now, but even then, we have to take care for things to be modest and not too tight.

Every single Aspie in the girls' social skills group dd attended for a bit over a year refused to wear jeans! They all protested at how thick and stiff the material was. Dd began wearing some thinner jeans from Target only about two years ago (she's 14).

I cut tags off everything for years and could only buy leggings for another handful of years. Like another poster, dd feels comfortable in tight clothing, which is not my preference for her age age 14 either.

Dd's favorite outfit: her riding pants and riding boots.

Sometime during those preschool years, one dd would not get dressed at all. She would wear a terry cloth robe, open, most of the time. It was a battle every time we had to go out because we would have to hunt her down. She would be hiding knowing she had to put clothes on. We had to hold her, get her dressed and not let her go. We had two hand-me-down sundressed from a relative with twins and we would alternated them for days when she attended preschool. When the weather got colder, I couldn't get her dressed by myself so much husband had to help me and then take her to preschool at 7am. When I had to get her somewhere on my own, I had to strap my infant in the carseat and find the hypersensitive dd, dress her, and carry her to the car. I wish I knew about homeschooling then. They were hard, hard days. I don't know how we managed.

On Sundays for church, dd would have on some strange outfit, striped pants with a floral shirt for example. And, she would always take off her shoes. We got some strange looks, but we were doing what we could to survive.

When I first met someone else with a dc like my dd and understood what I went through, I could have kissed her. Even our pediatrician told us to take dd who was 3 to a psychiatrist because she didn't know about SPD or SID. She just asked about a family history of depression.:confused:

The good news is that it did get better over time. We learned what she would wear; she gained some self-regulation ability. OT didn't really help much. Years later we found out she had a spinal disorder, when she had surgery to correct that, her sensitivities decreased and she started to wear running shoes for the first time. Now, it sensitivities seem to act up when she's under stress.

My heart goes out to all who suffer with this. I know what it's like. I really do. :grouphug:

Hey, that is us too! My oldest wears regular size, my middle wears husky, and my youngest wears regular BUT can't have anything with buttons....so not much sharing here either.

In Sept. I went to our local thrift store and found 5 pairs of husky 10 jeans in great condition for $1 each! I snatched them ALL up! Thankfully, he is set for this year. The season before I found 4 size 10 husky shorts in the same location.

I would love to find out WHO donated them as it sounds like that boy is one size larger than my son.

Dawn

Oh, my 10 y/o is a bear to find clothing for. He wants soft, seamless clothing and try finding a winter jacket for a snowy climate that doesn't have Nylon. He bucks at trying clothes on, but is a super slim, thus needs to. Sheets are another nightmare.

I have three boys close in age, with completely different builds and tastes. It's rare that I can pass an item down.

My son had severe sensory issues and would only wear sweatpants until he was about 10 years old. He went through a couple years of sensory integration therapy and I think that helped. He wouldn’t wear anything with a tag in, socks with seams, or anything that wasn’t super soft. I bought seamless socks for $15/pair and also went through a lot of different clothes to find some that he would wear. He still likes soft clothing and won’t wear anything that’s too rough, but he wear jeans, almost all shirts and socks with seams.