Menu

Math Mammoth Placement Question

TKDmom

This week, I gave my dd the MM placement test for the end of year 3. She was 5 points short of a passing grade.

She's just about finished with SM 3B, and most of the things she missed were things that have not been covered in Singapore up to this point (order of operations, the definition of perpendicular, division by zero, fluid ounces). Some were just sloppy mistakes (she did a two-part word problem and transferred the answer from the first part incorrectly over to the second part). I also noticed that she is weak in multiplication. She filled out a times table correctly, but it took for-ev-er. And she missed about a third of the timed multiplication/division problems. Obviously, she doesn't have her times tables memorized, but she does know how to figure them out.

Based on placement test, would you recommend that I do some remedial work, esp. with multiplication, before getting MM 4? Or will there be enough review in MM 4 to cover the types of things that she is missing?

There is a four page review of the multiplication table, pp. 79-83, plus more on multiplying by tens and hundreds, before moving on to multiplying multiple digits. You could probablly start 4A and supplement with a small amount of daily multiplication practice, with the worksheet maker or something.

Based on placement test, would you recommend that I do some remedial work, esp. with multiplication, before getting MM 4? Or will there be enough review in MM 4 to cover the types of things that she is missing?

I tested my dd at the end of the summer and she tested into 4A ... barely. She didn't have the times tables down reflexively, and there were some other concepts that were shaky as well. I put her in 3B, and I am glad I did. Working through 3B has really cemented the concepts she was shaky on. She'll be moving on to 4A soon, and she will be able to tackle it with confidence.

Tara

I decided to go ahead and buy the blue series unit on multiplication. I'll probably get her started on it next week, then jump into 4A. I have the feeling that trying to make her memorize times tables before she can move on will only make her hate life. After reading another thread on MM, I realized I can have her working on multiple topics simultaneously. So, I could give her a page of multiplication, and then a couple of pages in 4A each day. Does that sound reasonable?

I decided to go ahead and buy the blue series unit on multiplication. I'll probably get her started on it next week, then jump into 4A. I have the feeling that trying to make her memorize times tables before she can move on will only make her hate life. After reading another thread on MM, I realized I can have her working on multiple topics simultaneously. So, I could give her a page of multiplication, and then a couple of pages in 4A each day. Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, as long as what is in 4A doesn't need multiplication. :)