Menu

This is weird LOL 11/11/11

That will only work if you were born in the 1900's :)

If 'x' is the year you were born, then your age this year will be 2011-x. (Example: 2011-1978=33)

The last two digits of the year you were born is x-1900. (Example 1978-1900=78.)

So, when you add them together, you get your age (2011-x) plus the last two digits (x-1900), or 2011-x+x-1900. Or, 111.

That will only work if you were born in the 1900's :)

If 'x' is the year you were born, then your age this year will be 2011-x. (Example: 2011-1978=33)

The last two digits of the year you were born is x-1900. (Example 1978-1900=78.)

So, when you add them together, you get your age (2011-x) plus the last two digits (x-1900), or 2011-x+x-1900. Or, 111.

Ok, did you do that on your own, and if you did, you rock!

BTW, I grew up in Norwood, NY! :001_smile:

Another way to think about it is that you are adding the years between 1900 and 2011, which is 111. So for instance I was born in 1978, which is 78 years into the century. Since then I've lived 33 years. You add 78 and 33 together, and you get 111.

For kids born after 2000, their answer will be 11. (My daughter: 06 +5 = 11)

Next year the answer will be 112, and so on.

Ok, did you do that on your own, and if you did, you rock!

BTW, I grew up in Norwood, NY! :001_smile:

Yeah, my dad was a mathematician so I guess I've been trained that any time there's some 'neat trick' like that with numbers, you can figure out the 'why' of it :)

Norwood??? Really? I wish you still lived here so we could get together--it gets kinda lonely in the winter :tongue_smilie:

Elena

Norwood??? Really? I wish you still lived here so we could get together--it gets kinda lonely in the winter :tongue_smilie:

I know, that would be cool! My family all still live in the area, so I get up there a couple times a year. I thought it was so cool when I saw your location. So bizarre; no one ever knows where it is. Whenever someone asks me where I grew up, I usually end up saying "near Canada". It's just easier that way. :D

Sorry for the hijack, OP!