Menu

Anyone been to a Scholatic Customer Appreciation Warehouse Sale????

I am hoping to go to a warehouse sale in May. Have any of you been??? What are prices like? If I can not go until the last day (it is a three day sale), will there still be good bargains???

What are some great buys that you have found?

I would LOVE all the insight into this - to make sure it it worth my drive and time.

Thanks!!

Tanya

homeschooler of 7 children in rural KS

I used to take the kids there when they were younger and we were in the "buying books" phase of our life. Some of the books were fine, all were discounted, and much is rather worthless, but nevertheless, I did end up with quite a few purchases. Try it out and see if you like it... I believe they hold these sales twice a year.

I've probably gotten half of our late elementary and middle school reading books from these sales! The Shakespeare Steaker series, the Keys to the Kingdom series, many Newberry winners and a few for curriculum, crafty and activity type books, many of their school workbooks for supplementing like the math word problems and reading comprehension stuff...I stock up once or twice a year for Christmas!

I'm going next month, too, and I am SO excited. I spend a few hours with my dd and have a good ol' shopping spree.

I know that w/ our local warehouse sale they are still getting deliveries even during the sale (granted, that was the fall sale). That meant that even later on during the sale, the warehouse was re-stocking. (Great selection, but BAD for my wallet:tongue_smilie:)

We go to every one... I've gotten some great Usborne books for curriculum, as well as plenty of great fiction reading for the kids and for dh and myself (we both enjoy fantasy lit).

My one caveat--do NOT go on the weekend. We made the mistake of going on a Saturday one time. It took us over two hours to check out--every teacher in the known universe was there. Weekdays are so much simpler!

:iagree: I find the sales to be the best when I go during the week, without little kids!

I have picked up some great deals in the past and I also use the sales to stock up on birthday party gifts and other gifts needed throughout the year.

I also do best when I set a budget and bring cash. It's easy to overspend.

I loved going to these, and my middle son loved tagging along.

There are, in my opinion, too many fluffy books (have you ever received their little pamphlet catalogs that are sent to the children through the book club?)

It was still fun, though, and I always managed to find some gems.

I found great Scholastic Proffesional resource books, DK books, picture books, Scholastic Discovery books, field guides, Bob Books, and some nice history and science books.

Guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I went twice and came home empty handed. Most of the books there were just as easily found on Amazon, for better prices. A lot of the books were the junky twaddle series so popular these days--things like Pony Pals and Animal Ark (not necessarily those, just using those as examples). Very few classics, hardbacks, or kits in our sale.

I used to love going thru the little flyers they'd pass out from Scholastic at school--guess my tastes have changed.

YMMV, as always!

Oh, the other thing about these sales is their 99 cent books. I'm not sure if they still do this, but they have 99 cent books which are half off (as all of the stickered prices are).

I bought National Audubon Society First Field Guides for 50 cents each!

This included: amphibians, fishes, shells, and birds.

I'm pretty sure I got the boxed Bob Books sets for $1.00 a box.

:iagree: The prices can't be beat.....1/2 of the original price listed on the book or item. Our warehouse also has a huge $1.00 section, plus an area close to the check-out where items are up to 75% off. When my girls were younger, I spent quite a bit :w00t:, but it's not as bad now that they're older. Be sure and go to the Scholastic website and sign up for a fast pass. It includes a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase. I've never had ANY trouble meeting that minimum;)!

Have fun!

Jerriann