Menu

Please suggest some books that would help me understand Chinese thought and culture.

I'd be interested in suggestions as well. We hosted two Chinese women over Christmas break. We had some interesting conversations regarding their culture and lifestyles (for example, both were married but their husbands lived in China while both women were working in the US. One woman said it was not uncommon for husband and wives in China to live in different cities. They would go wherever their career dictated, even if it meant living separately.) They were both Christians, so we also had wonderful talks about our faith.

Maybe Laura Corin will chime in with some ideas. I can't think of a single book -- I have a BA and MA in Chinese Studies and am not sure what to suggest. I'm running through my mental card catalog and am leaning towards recommending not history or culture books, but some recent books about life in China and, believe it or not, Amy Tan.

Kitchen's God Wife really captures Chinese culture because it focuses on the both the lives of American born Chinese, but of the lives of their parents in China before the war.

To get modern China I recommend Country Driving by Peter Hessler. He lived in mainland China for a long time and describes the changes in both the country side and in the factory towns. He is a delightful writer -- I'm looking on Amazon and wonder if his title Oracle Bones might be a good choice for you. I haven't read it yet.

If you want to watch a movie, try Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. It's from the early 90s and a Taiwan family, but that would be somewhat equivalent to a mainland family today from a medium- to large-sized city. Just an insight into 1 familly, but it's a good one.

If you want to watch a movie, try Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. It's from the early 90s and a Taiwan family, but that would be somewhat equivalent to a mainland family today from a medium- to large-sized city. Just an insight into 1 familly, but it's a good one.

:iagree:

I love this movie.

There is another I would suggest, "To Live". It tells you some of the history of China in the past 80 years. It is really really good.

For the story about the very poor school kids in China who had a substitute teacher barely older than them, watch, "Not one less". It is really depressing by the way.

Another one is "shower". Shadow Magic" is a really good movie that we enjoy a lot.

For Beijing opera related topic and some history during the world wars and the cultural revolution, watch "Farewell my concubine". It is very very good, but can be depressing too. I love it so much that I vowed not to watch it the second time because I don't want my first impression to be ruined.

I agree about Eat, Drink, Man Woman and Not One Less. I like the detective stories written by Qiu Xiaolong: they are more or less contemporary and give a suprisingly good idea of how China (or at least the major cities) is developing.

About couples living apart, mentioned by a PP: this became common during the strict communist period, when people were only allowed to live in the city of their birth (with some exceptions). Some couples would only see each other for a month at Chinese New Year.

Laura

I agree about Eat, Drink, Man Woman and Not One Less. I like the detective stories written by Qiu Xiaolong: they are more or less contemporary and give a suprisingly good idea of how China (or at least the major cities) is developing.

Laura

Thanks, Laura. I knew I could count on you. And I love detective stories, so this will be great.

Maybe Laura Corin will chime in with some ideas. I can't think of a single book -- I have a BA and MA in Chinese Studies and am not sure what to suggest. I'm running through my mental card catalog and am leaning towards recommending not history or culture books, but some recent books about life in China and, believe it or not, Amy Tan.

Kitchen's God Wife really captures Chinese culture because it focuses on the both the lives of American born Chinese, but of the lives of their parents in China before the war.

To get modern China I recommend Country Driving by Peter Hessler. He lived in mainland China for a long time and describes the changes in both the country side and in the factory towns. He is a delightful writer -- I'm looking on Amazon and wonder if his title Oracle Bones might be a good choice for you. I haven't read it yet.

ETA: Aha. I just realized Kitchen's God Wife *is* an Amy Tan. I sent it to my Kindle. Thanks, Jenn.

Edited by Luann in ID
had a duh moment

Dh is a college prof who has worked extensively with with East Asian students. He recommends Understanding China: A Guide to China's Economy, History and Political Culture, by John Bryan Starr. He just came out with a third edition last year, so it should be up-to-date.

Thanks. I added it to my wishlist.

I'd be interested in suggestions as well. We hosted two Chinese women over Christmas break. We had some interesting conversations regarding their culture and lifestyles (for example, both were married but their husbands lived in China while both women were working in the US. One woman said it was not uncommon for husband and wives in China to live in different cities. They would go wherever their career dictated, even if it meant living separately.) They were both Christians, so we also had wonderful talks about our faith.

One of my Chinese teachers did this. Her husband lived in Montana b/c that's where his job was, and the older children lived there with him. She moved to Monterey, CA with their youngest when she got a job at DLI.... that's the way they lived and they didn't have any immediate plans to change it. To her, that's just what you do....

This isn't a book, but a neat blog written by a homeschooler who, until recently, lived in China :) I LOVE reading it! On the right hand side, just click on "Living in China".

http://jimmiescollage.com/