Menu

What would you do?

trying my best

I am having several extra kids from the neighborhood to do preschool together with my younger one. So we have 3 preschoolers altogether (3 families). I host the "school time" at my home. We have been doing this for 3 months now. I never charged anything. I helped paying for Kumon books (i payed half for their books). We have 6 books for each kids which is 2 cutting books, 2 coloring, and 2 pasting (gluing). They kids LOVE it.

Realizing that i am running out of ink, paper, constrasion paper and what not, i asked if the families can donate $10 a month for school supplies and needs. If we have left overs it will go for next step of Kumon books.

1 family (family A) and me agreed that would be a good idea. 1 other family (family B) said they cant afford $10 a month. What should I do?

I want to start on Writing Without Tears and Family A and me paid for the chalk board and Family B said they cant. OK, it wasn't much so my husband paid for them.

I am teaching all the classes. When i have ideas i let the parents know about changes or class needs. Family A drops her kid and picks her up when we are done. Family B stays to help out with their kid (who is a bit advanced).

So what do you think i need to do about Family B who cant pay for ANYTHING? I cant just run preschool on nothing....

Preschool kids: 2 1/2 year old (mine), 4 year old (Family A) and 3 1/2 year old advanced kid (family B)

We do Preschool time 3 times a week.

Edited by trying my best

I'd ask Family B to provide half an hour/wk or so of labor in lieu of the $10/mo and other fees. Maybe the mom can help with prep (cutting things out, photocopying things or whatever) or at least help with clean-up.

Jackie

Well if i ask her to teach classes and i will still end up needing to buy more things for that kid out of my own pocket. That is the problem. Because We will start with WWT and each kid needs their own book and supplies.

Well if i ask her to teach classes and i will still end up needing to buy more things for that kid out of my own pocket. That is the problem. Because We will start with WWT and each kid needs their own book and supplies.

I'd just explain to them that the materials cost $ and it is not possible to do the work wothout the materials. If you don't want to pay for them and they can't then the preschool at your house will no longer be a good fit. It is nice of you to hold a no cost preschool at your house but you shouldn't have to pay to do it unless you feel led to bless that family in that way.

I'd just explain to them that the materials cost $ and it is not possible to do the work wothout the materials. If you don't want to pay for them and they can't then the preschool at your house will no longer be a good fit. It is nice of you to hold a no cost preschool at your house but you shouldn't have to pay to do it unless you feel led to bless that family in that way.

This is what I am thinking too... and i started as you said "blessong someone with preschool" Family A just had a baby and she didnt have time to fit preschool into their life. So I invited them over and they were happy. This family is willing to cover expenses.

But soon the blessing turned into "running our of supplies" issue for me..

I feel the same way about Family B who wont pay for anything.. .its just hard to bring this up to them.....

What was the discussion with family B prior to beginning the preschool? Obviously, things change, but I think this has a place too. Perhaps simply saying $10 a month is too vague for them. Maybe you should explain (if you haven't already) preferably on paper so the dh can see as well, exactly what your out of pocket fees are for the class. Maybe they would prefer to just know what their child needs for the class and purchase those items within their budget. If the mother of family B is there the entire time, I do think there might be other things that she could do to help out that would offset costs. Just my thoughts...

What was the discussion with family B prior to beginning the preschool? Obviously, things change, but I think this has a place too. Perhaps simply saying $10 a month is too vague for them. Maybe you should explain (if you haven't already) preferably on paper so the dh can see as well, exactly what your out of pocket fees are for the class. Maybe they would prefer to just know what their child needs for the class and purchase those items within their budget. If the mother of family B is there the entire time, I do think there might be other things that she could do to help out that would offset costs. Just my thoughts...

here is a history between me and Mom#2 - our kids used to go to COOP together. Then both of us pulled them out because things got ugly in coop (coop's foult). By that time Family A and me were doing preschool time together anyways. So i just invited mom #2 to join us instead of just sitting home. She agreed. She would pay $100 for coop a year anyways (which i know she hasnt yet) - i just dont know why she cant do the same to our class... its 3 times a week instead of 1 like coop would do. So far i didnt ask for money help, this is just happened this month because i want to start more organized preschool time with supplies... I cant do preschool on thin air lol

What if you had a play date part and an academic part?

She could come later then the other and play for a while, but you could get the expensive school out of the way before they arrived? Especially if it is mostly WWT you are worried about being too expensive, then that could be done either before or after with just the two kids.

Can you give both families a list of supplies along with projected costs? Ask them if they would rather you buy the items bulk and they pay you $10 a month or if they would rather be responsible for obtaining specified items from the list. That gives them a choice. Do let them know that you cannot afford to continue subsidizing their families.

What if you had a play date part and an academic part?

She could come later then the other and play for a while, but you could get the expensive school out of the way before they arrived? Especially if it is mostly WWT you are worried about being too expensive, then that could be done either before or after with just the two kids.

That is a good idea! Thank you!

Can you give both families a list of supplies along with projected costs? Ask them if they would rather you buy the items bulk and they pay you $10 a month or if they would rather be responsible for obtaining specified items from the list. That gives them a choice. Do let them know that you cannot afford to continue subsidizing their families.

That is what i will do for families who want to stay and pay :)