Menu

Should I take dd10 to see Oedipus Rex?

Should I take dd10 to see Oedipus Rex?  

1. 1. Should I take dd10 to see Oedipus Rex?

• Yes (dd10 only).
    • Yes (dd10 and dd8).
    • No.
    • Other.

The subject matter deals with incest (unknowing) with his mother and then the murder of his father. We did it in high school and even then it was a bit intense. I would not do it.

Is it any worse (more graphic/detailed) than the myth upon which it is based? We read and discussed the myth already this year.

Is it any worse (more graphic/detailed) than the myth upon which it is based? We read and discussed the myth already this year.

Hamlet, for example, is more explicit about the mother's sexuality. However seeing it on stage, with real actors, is a very different experience from reading it with mum - you are witnessing the violence, after all. I voted that you should take the 10yo, but that would only be for a fairly tough 10yo. I think that Hobbes would cope well, for example, but Calvin would not have at that age.

Laura

Hamlet, for example, is more explicit about the mother's sexuality. However seeing it on stage, with real actors, is a very different experience from reading it with mum - you are witnessing the violence, after all. I voted that you should take the 10yo, but that would only be for a fairly tough 10yo. I think that Hobbes would cope well, for example, but Calvin would not have at that age.

Laura

Ok, I will give that some thought. She is not sensitive to things like that. She would probably think the stage fighting is cool. :)

yes to the 10, no to the 8yr old. I took my just 10 year old and his friend to see MacBeth this summer and it was more graphic than I expected. But they LOVED it. They sat with wide eyes and mouth open for the whole thing. There were kids younger present and I saw many being taken out due to bordome or getting scared.

They came home and told my 5 year old all about it and he loved it..BUT it was filtered through his brother, lol. It worked very well.

When I was in High School we went to see a production of it that tried to keep it very "Greek Theater" feeling. It really freaked me out. I don't know if it was the story line so much as the masks and costumes though. The subject matter is pretty mature but the eerie, creepy atmosphere is what really did me in.