Menu

College student's illiteracy spin-off

How to I ensure that my kid is not one of the illiterate ones?

Seriously. She is smart. She just doesn't want to read. When I was her age I devoured everything with words on it. She;s not interested... She's 13. I don't get it. I've done everything I thought I was "supposed" to do. Library trips. Interesting books. etc.

Now she will get library books and leave them in the bag for the whole week.

it's funny; I restrict electronics. She spends 30 minutes a day on the computer. Less than an hour watching TV. But she wastes an enormous amount of time just fooling around. Like she will sit on the couch picking at her nails, doodling, or looking for something. Most of the time she will prefer to sit around and watch what is going on in the house or stare at the ceiling rather than read!

It drives me BONKERS!

Not being a fan of recreational reading does not equal illiteracy. ;)

My dd14 would much rather make crafts, play games, go swimming, ride bikes, or pretty much anything else other than 'read for fun' -- and that's fine with me. Everyone has different tastes in "fun" and different ways that they like to spend their spare time. :)

(If there is an issue with her ABILITY to read on a level that is appropriate for her, then that would be something to address, yes.)

I restrict electronics.

It certainly sounds like you're doing all the right things. The only two things that I can think of that you haven't mentioned yet are reading aloud to her and modeling reading yourself.

If you do both to these, I'm at a loss!

Pegasus

How to I ensure that my kid is not one of the illiterate ones?

Audio books.

You can get these free from the library, either physically or online.

Require a certain number of minutes or chapters or however you want to do it.

She can even do something else while she listens. (Exercising? Doing her nails? Chores?)

It's much easier to listen to difficult books than to read them. If necessary, I read the Cliff Notes outloud to my son along with the audio book. You can also get these free from the library, physically or online.