Menu

Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel and US 13? Good or bad idea?

What is US 13 like? Speed limit? Speed trappy? We are in Colonial Williamsburg, heading home to NY tomorrow. I was thinking of doing this instead of going up 95 so I could avoid Richmond, DC and Balitimore traffic. So is this a good idea or bad idea? It only adds 10 miles, and 30 minutes to the google estimate, but when the google estimate adds in traffic, the 95 route goes up 1:30.

We took 13 from the Bay Bridge (in MD) as part of our trip to get to Outer Banks, NC. because we didn't want to deal with the traffic jams and wanted to be able to go at a more leisurely pace instead of filling the beginning of the vacation with humanity insanity.

It depends on the ages of your kids, imho. We have taken 95 to OB and were in more than one traffic jam, for long periods.

Taking 13: you can stop more frequently if needed in some places; some areas there is no place!; some areas there are little towns, traffic lights, lower speed limits, yes, speed traps; but there are speed traps on 95 as well.

There was so much insanity/rage type driving on 95 and every time we've taken that route in from DC to southern VA, it seems worse.

I'm glad we took 13, just for the change of pace. Would I do it again? Yes.

The only way I would do this is to commit to going to Lewes, DE (Pick up Rt. 113 and head over Rt. 24) and getting on the ferry over to Cape May, NJ. About 1 mile from exiting the ferry, you would get on the Garden State Parkway and head on to NY.

Rt. 13 is great way down on the Delmarva, but gets to be a problem with stop and go as you hit populated areas.

Just my 2 cents!

The only way I would do this is to commit to going to Lewes, DE (Pick up Rt. 113 and head over Rt. 24) and getting on the ferry over to Cape May, NJ. About 1 mile from exiting the ferry, you would get on the Garden State Parkway and head on to NY.

Rt. 13 is great way down on the Delmarva, but gets to be a problem with stop and go as you hit populated areas.

Just my 2 cents!

Well the 55 and stop lights does in that plan! I don't think I can handle 55 for that many hours!

We took 13 from the Bay Bridge (in MD) as part of our trip to get to Outer Banks, NC. because we didn't want to deal with the traffic jams and wanted to be able to go at a more leisurely pace instead of filling the beginning of the vacation with humanity insanity.

It depends on the ages of your kids, imho. We have taken 95 to OB and were in more than one traffic jam, for long periods.

Taking 13: you can stop more frequently if needed in some places; some areas there is no place!; some areas there are little towns, traffic lights, lower speed limits, yes, speed traps; but there are speed traps on 95 as well.

There was so much insanity/rage type driving on 95 and every time we've taken that route in from DC to southern VA, it seems worse.

I'm glad we took 13, just for the change of pace. Would I do it again? Yes.

Yup, this make me realize 13 would drive me crazy!

I've actually seen much more "insanity/rage" type driving on these types of roads. 95 and thing like that just seem totally normal.

That bridge scares me!

Just drive up 95, but don't hit any cities at rush hour. Works fine.

Ah, so much easier said than done! LOL! I've made that drive so many times over the years it's not funny. But it just seems like no matter when you leave, even if you avoid one area, you end up catching rush hour at another. This is the first time I've ever been this far off 95, so I thought maybe we'd try something different. But not going to happen I guess.

Speed limit is 55. The bridge is kinda fun if you've never been on it. It's 17 miles long, has 2 tunnels and a gift shop/restaurant about 3 miles into it.

Route 13 is speed limit 55 and has stoplights.

I grew up on the southern tip of the Eastern Shore of VA! I love the area.

Well the 55 and stoplights made the call for me. I couldn't handle hours of 55! ACK!! And then to be hitting lights on top, well that would do me in! Thanks for the info! I'd have lost my mind trying that tomorrow!

Just my 2 cents!

Nope, can't do the stop and go! Thanks!

We've done every way possible during our multiple FL-NJ journeys. It all depends. This past trip we hit traffic in Richmond on the way up and on the way back both way outside of the rush hour range (both were after 7pm!!!). It was just a 3 hour void, period. I wanted to jump.out.of.my.skin.

However, during bad weather the bridge/13 is slow. My dh has been stuck on the bridge during bad weather and on 13 for a long,long,long time.

Have just done the trek the week of Christmas, you have my sympathy.