Menu

FPEA Conference

I would like to attend a “mega†homeschooling conference to review and purchase (secular) curriculum and materials. The most convenient conference would be FPEA in May, but the conference website doesn’t include a list of vendors. If there has been a variety of vendors in the past, then I would be inclined to attend. Otherwise, I would go to Midsouth or Southeast.

Has anyone attended an FPEA conference? If so, what was it like in terms of vendors (number/quality/type)? Also, might the conference offer any activities for a couple of little ones (ages 3.5 and 5)?

Thanks, Lisa. I had never heard anything about FPEA...I really had no idea.

Do you know if the conference might have directed/supervised activities for a couple little ones? I doubt my husband will wish to attend, and I am sure the girls would be happier playing than shopping.

They should have a list of vendors up around March or April, I think. I went last year for the first time, and it seemed like they were rather late in getting out any information. The exhibit hall was huge. It took me a good 4 hours of walking through it before I felt like I'd seen everything I wanted to see.

But I have to agree with floridamom, they don't make any attempt to be secular. It looks like the Southeast conference will have a lot more variety of vendors.

It's very hard to find a workshop that is not Christian (at least it was for me, since I wasn't familiar with many of the speakers). I ended up walking out of several workshops when they were halfway through, and had still not gotten around to talking about homeschooling. Not that I'm opposed to hearing Christian beliefs, but if I want to be preached to with no reference to homeschooling, I'll just go to church on Sunday, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Do you know if the conference might have directed/supervised activities for a couple little ones? I doubt my husband will wish to attend, and I am sure the girls would be happier playing than shopping.

They have a children's program for ages 5-12, but not for younger than that.

It's very hard to find a workshop that is not Christian (at least it was for me, since I wasn't familiar with many of the speakers). I ended up walking out of several workshops when they were halfway through, and had still not gotten around to talking about homeschooling. Not that I'm opposed to hearing Christian beliefs, but if I want to be preached to with no reference to homeschooling, I'll just go to church on Sunday, thankyouverymuch. ;)

I would feel the same way. It sounds like Atlanta or one of the other conferences would be a better fit for us. Thanks for the help bonniebeth4, floridamom, and Lisa.

Donna