Menu

Site/book that reviews books?

Tamberly

I'm looking for some resources that will let me know about books before I let my daughter read them - something that will alert me to issues or circumstances I may not want her reading about. She is seven, and started reading the Harry Potter series mid December. She is currently on the Half Blood Prince (second to last book in the series) and I can't possibly keep up! The last book was 870 pages. We don't want her reading things too over her head but she just breezes through things. These weren't even the only books she's read in this time!

Also, any book recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

www.chinaberry.com is a site with books & items for families: they read all books featured, and include warnings of content (frightening scenarios, complex personal issues, coming-of-age stuff, etc.) so that parents can make judgment calls. There are fewer book offerings nowadays, since so many customers started ordering through Amazon, but the owner & staff are truly enthusiastic about children's literature and you could drop a line with your daughter's age and a request for recommendations.

Valerie & Walters Best Books for Children is a book of reviews by folks who own a children's bookstore in California.

Also, if you haven't seen Great Books for Girls and Great Books for Boys (the boys' book has different topics, lots would suit girls) you might check them out; they're often in the library's reference section.

Not a source of reviews, but maybe of interest: some books not found in many modern reviews are those by E. Nesbit ("Five Children and It" is one); Masefield's "The Box of Delights" (supposedly better than the precursor "The Midnight Folk"); and Burnett's "A Little Princess" (she's the author of "The Secret Garden").