Menu

x-post::: Buying used -- Spiral bound vs. regular bound books/manuals

MangoMama

I'm posting this in both the general forum and curriculum forum... not sure where it should go. :tongue_smilie:

I like to buy used curriculum and I like to sell used curriculum. :001_smile:

I have some FIAR manuals that are bound regularly (not sure what to call it?) and I have 2 of them that are spiral bound. I happen to LOVE spiral bound teacher's manuals because the book can lay flat on a table and makes it so much easier to teach out of.

I'm thinking about getting the other (regularly bound) books professionally spiral bound at an office supply store. Does anyone know if this will decrease the possible value of these books? I find it very helpful, but I don't know if others would agree. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :001_smile:

I don't think many people would consider it a draw. I think FIAR has good resale potential anyway, so you're probably likely to find someone who considers it an advantage as well.

One tip I learned (the hard way) - if you're having an office place cut off the binding, make sure they split the book into manageable chunks first (can be done by opening up the book and cutting through the binding with a box cutter). If they try to cut the binding off a thick book, it sometimes slips.

I wish all TGs came spiral bound. I agree that it's MUCH easier!

I prefer spiral bound books too, but I would probably be wary of buying books that had been spiral bound by anyone but the publisher, so it would make me more reluctant to buy the books from you.

But I agree with the other poster that your first priority is how the curriculum best serves you. I remind myself of that often. Sometimes I don't want to write in a book because it will lower the resale value, but then when I really think about it, I usually decide to do whatever I need to do to get the best use out of the curriculum.

Lisa

If I saw 2 different ads: your FIAR manual that you had spiraled for $5 more than one that didn't have a spiral.....and I had the extra 5 bucks....I would buy yours!! I have had a few books spiraled and they ALWAYS look better and function way better than before. I have Phonics Pathways and HOD LHFHG done, which are thicker than a FIAR manual and they are perfect! I had them done at Kinko and had the covers laminated. They have super strong laminate so not only were the manuals more manageable, but also more durable.

But I agree with the other poster that your first priority is how the curriculum best serves you. I remind myself of that often. Sometimes I don't want to write in a book because it will lower the resale value, but then when I really think about it, I usually decide to do whatever I need to do to get the best use out of the curriculum.

Lisa

My husband has to remind me of this often. After all, we don't buy the curriculum just so we can resell it, right? :tongue_smilie: :lol:at myself... DUH!

If I saw 2 different ads: your FIAR manual that you had spiraled for $5 more than one that didn't have a spiral.....and I had the extra 5 bucks....I would buy yours!! I have had a few books spiraled and they ALWAYS look better and function way better than before. I have Phonics Pathways and HOD LHFHG done, which are thicker than a FIAR manual and they are perfect! I had them done at Kinko and had the covers laminated. They have super strong laminate so not only were the manuals more manageable, but also more durable.

Thank you, Susie! :D

I think I'll just have the spiral binding done... AND get the covers laminated!! :D

Thanks again!