Menu

Languarts Arts that includes grammar, writing, spelling & vocab?

jtcarter14

Is there such a thing? I was looking at CLE which seems to include all but writing and thought how great it would be for the elementary years to have them done together - simplify and save time. Although I'd want it to be a quality curriculum, of course. So I'm probably asking for too much.

As for grammar, I'm drawn to the ones like MTC, BJU, and GWG. But last night I looked at SO many, and got the feeling that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, one question about CLE. In their 5th grade sample pages, it looks possible that they are expecting the student to already know how to diagram a simple sentence. Is that the case, or did they probably teach that on some pages not shown? My son has no clue how to diagram. Neither does my daughter, but she'll be going into 4th grade.

So far they have used PLL (which is NOT my style), a Spectrum workbook for summer catch-up, and SOS this year (not challenging at all!). And they did Abeka before I took them out of school.

Honestly, I'm looking for something that is more student led and provides some sort of grammar tests or quizzes.

Thanks!

Try Classical Writing :) When I found this I was so happy! www.classicalwriting.com

Here is the scope and sequence link for the 5th and 6th grade Homer...

http://classicalwriting.com/ScopeSequenceHomer.pdf

I have seen this in passing but didn't realize it covered so much. I'm going to have to take a closer look.

The Phonics Road will cover all that too.

You're right about CLE, my daughter has worked through the 300's and they introduced diagramming in LU 302 or somewhere like that. If you look on their website, you can buy extra diagramming practice sheets...also, they sell a Reference Chart and it has a lot of LA fundamentals that they can refer to while they are working.

It sounds like CLE would work for you. We have done their K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade LA and their 2nd, 3rd grade Math. It is a very good, solid program.

Advantage Grammar or SWO might be something that would work for you.

Is it correct that Advantage Grammar only comes as an e-book?

SWO = Spelling Workout? I actually like that one a lot for spelling, and you reminded me that it has good vocab in it. But it looks like I'd something else for grammar and writing instruction, right?

Thanks!

I just realized we already have a copy of levels 3 & 4 of Writing Strands. What do you all think about those?

So we could use that, SWO, and choose a grammar that suits us...

Does that sound reasonable, or more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be? We're talking 4th & 5th grades.

Also, is there anything good that would be a remedial type thing that would just take a couple months? Ds is behind in grammar, I'm afraid. I'd like to have him be on track for the ITBS and also to be on grade level for next year.

Thanks again!

Guest kgdaniels1

I am beginning to use the Writing Road to Reading with my kids this year. In conjunction with the How to Spell workbooks that follow the WRTR method closely, this is a great program. The How to Spell workbooks are not necessarily needed, but I like them b/c they are cheap and there are only 4 books for K-8th. They make the spelling part easier on me. Spalding Education International has teacher guides that aren't needed but make things easier too. I'm told you will only need the Teacher Guide the first year if you choose to use one. Then you will have it down and will be able to do without. WRTR takes patience on your part to learn and get it down, which is why many like the TE, b/c it spells everything out for you. You do have to be involved though. You can't just give it to the kid and leave them alone. It is a great program that works for kids with all learning styles since it uses all of the senses in the teaching process. All that said, the bare essentials are the Writing Road to Reading book you can find cheaply used online or at 1/2 price books, pencil, paper and you and your kids. You can teach more than one grade level at once, which is nice for families with several children.

I'm using CLE LA for my 3rd grader and Saxon Grammar and Writing for my 5th grader. The CLE lightunits do not include a full writing program. You are supposed to add in this book for that http://www.clp.org/product/on_teaching_writing_769 and I've never really looked at it. We use WWE for writing. We also use A Reason for Handwriting even though CLE does include handwriting because that's what we started with and I prefer it.

Saxon includes writing (though we use IEW instead), but even though it does cover some spelling rules, it doesn't really have anywhere near a full spelling program at all.

Hope that helps.

Lisa

THe Phonics Road offers complete, quality, all-in-one language arts that includes spelling, writing, vocab., literature, grammar, handwriting, cursive, and word study/root. It's great. There are several posts about it on my blog. The one thing you mentioned that it will not have is regular tests. There are daily, weekly and review spelling tests, but generally mastery is exemplified through application (writing, dictation).

CW, MCT are both great looking programs, although I haven't used them personally.

If you want something more textbookish, I'd encourage CLE, Rod & Staff, or even Saxon. They all have LA components in all areas.

HTH

Oh, one question about CLE. In their 5th grade sample pages, it looks possible that they are expecting the student to already know how to diagram a simple sentence. Is that the case, or did they probably teach that on some pages not shown? My son has no clue how to diagram. Neither does my daughter, but she'll be going into 4th grade.

Thanks!

They teach diagramming before 5th grade. I want to say I remember seeing simple diagramming being introduced in the LUs for LA 200...I might be wrong though. If you go with it, I *highly* recommend doing the placement test. It's free to download on their website or you can order a paper copy for a small fee. CLE is rigorous program and tends to run about a year ahead from what I've heard.