Menu

Ok- How does this sound? Help me think this through

Ok-- if you have been following my thread about my soon to be 8th grader how does this sound- (for history)

She is doing MOH 2. What if when she is done with that I get a reading list to kinda cover MOH3 and AAH 2 topics to have her read through the summer and then start her in ECC with her sister so she has that foundational year before high school? Could that work?

If so do you have recommendations on must read books to cover those topics?

Many people do a year of geography in high school. BJU has World Geography for grade 9. At a certain point, some of these loose programs get kind of tricky with older kids, because you find yourself wanting to add in writing and whatnot to bring it up to what you expect. (Yes, that could be interpreted as a slam on MFW. I mean it more vaguely and generally as something to ponder.)

As the others said earlier, that seems unnecessarily brisk to read AAH2, which is quite meaty, in a summer. Why the rush?

BTW, we're really enjoying Around the World in 180 Days. You could do it next year and combine them pretty easily.

Clearance would have been nice! I plunked out the whole $40 for the new mac version, ouch. But it's supposed to be really nifty. It can use your itunes library music to type to, type with the dvorak keyboard, etc. So we'll see. We did some Typing Instructor long ago, but dd has reverted to pecking.

PS. That's interesting that you noticed my sig. I just updated it. I know it looks like an ecclectic mess. I typed it off our schedule and didn't even rearrange into some logical fashion. We're really working hard on skills stuff and foundational issues this year. I'm hoping next year will be a little more interesting! On the other hand though, we're having fun. Lots of fun stuff. :)

I think the red ink helps a lot in noticing it! :D

That's funny cuz we had Typing Instructor before, too. My dd just started her first BJU online science lesson and wanted to blog and I told her she needs to brush up on her typing skills. Then I happened to be at Staples that same day and saw it for only 9 bucks (I know it must be an older version explaining an older version of Microsoft Word, but it was originally over $30 and I only really need it for my dd so I am happy!)

Brenda

Many people do a year of geography in high school. BJU has World Geography for grade 9. At a certain point, some of these loose programs get kind of tricky with older kids, because you find yourself wanting to add in writing and whatnot to bring it up to what you expect. (Yes, that could be interpreted as a slam on MFW. I mean it more vaguely and generally as something to ponder.)

As the others said earlier, that seems unnecessarily brisk to read AAH2, which is quite meaty, in a summer. Why the rush?

BTW, we're really enjoying Around the World in 180 Days. You could do it next year and combine them pretty easily.

No I meant using living books through the summer- not the textbook itself. Just using that to get topics to cover. Im in a panic (as if you couldnt tell :001_huh:) because it seems that she has so much still uncovered and high school is looming. <sigh> It will all work out in the end, right??

No I meant using living books through the summer- not the textbook itself. Just using that to get topics to cover. Im in a panic (as if you couldnt tell :001_huh:) because it seems that she has so much still uncovered and high school is looming. <sigh> It will all work out in the end, right??

I didn't read the other thread (not much time these days!), but I would definitely NOT panic over history. There is no such thing as topics that must have been covered in history prior to high school. History is not a subject that builds upon the mastery of earlier topics.

Exposure to prior topics aids in understanding by a framework of time, but the depth of background and context that a younger child learns during the study of history is absolutely not equal to what older kids will be studying/learning. And......older kids can study/learn it at that depth and in the larger context w/o ever having been exposed to it all before.