Menu

CPO vs Science Explorer

Cambridge Physics Outlet. The company was founded (and its first books written by) a scientist from MIT (in Cambridge), and the first books they wrote were on Physics (and all of their high school books still are).

Thanks! Here's their site for other lurkers :)

(Yet more to add to my list for investigation...)

If you use CPO, what do you order? Can you get by with just the student set (text and investigations manual)? Can you do some of the investigations without all of the classroom equipment? Does the interactive DVD add much?

This, and is there a place to order online, or do you have to call them?

Thanks to everyone so far! I appreciate your input.

This, and is there a place to order online, or do you have to call them?

Thanks to everyone so far! I appreciate your input.

I've always ordered "used" from Amazon or Ebay. My "used" books almost all came still shrink-wrapped (including the Investigations Manual), or like new.

I'll admit I ordered the California Editions because they were easier to find cheaply used. I think I like the "regular" editions a bit better (it's mostly the same, but stuff has been moved around - the biggest difference I see is in the Earth Science), but not better enough to pass up getting the Earth Science text plus lab book for $12. :tongue_smilie:

I've been getting by fine with the Text plus lab book. If you get the "regular" books rather than the California Editions, the labs are all availabe to print out free off of their website (I use some of them even with the CE). There are also lots of "Skill Sheets" - biographies, diagrams to fill in, extra math work that relates to the topic - free on the website.

I like to have the TE because it has all the answers to the Assessments and lab questions. It also has other useful stuff - links, suggested readings, teaching tips - that are nice but not necessary. The TE is *not* a reprint of the Text with little extra bits around the edges like many are.

I've done fine adapting the labs to equipment I can get elsewhere, or just skipping/substituting the occasional one. I haven't bought any lab stuff from CPO (I've done Bio and Earth so far).