Menu

sleep over camp

Does anyone send their kids to sleepover camp? how do they adjust with the other kids. we have gone to camp for the last two years, unfortunately they were really too young . they still had fun. this year they will be going to a different camp (I haven't found one tho) and i feel with them being older and homeschooled they may have a harder time. what do you think?

ds did not enjoy boy scout camp for 2 years at 10 and 11. Turned out boy scouts was just wrong for him. He did enjoy a computer camp at 12.

dd didn't enjoy girl scout camp (liked girl scouts though) at age 8. Turned out the counselor ignored dd every time she asked to go to the bathroom this resulted in dd wetting her pants twice during the week and she was adamant about not returning, but wouldn't tell me why for 6 months. She then went to a camp our diocese ran the next two summers. She loved that camp. Both the girl scout camp and the diocese camp had similar activities.

I don't it has to do with being homeschooled. I think success at overnight camp has to do with the right match in the camp and the child's personality. My dd is an interesting combination of shy and adventurous. Even though she is shy, she is extremely independent and has been independent from the beginning.

My oldest attended her first over night camp last summer and loved it! This summer our middle will get to go, too and she is already excited. I do not believe the fact that we homeschool determines whether they enjoy camp or not. I think it's more about the camp and their personalities.

My oldest has been going to overnight camps since he was 7.

His homeschooling status has never been an issue.

My two older girls have also gone, but not as often as ds.

They always go with another friend their age so they are comfortable right away.

I don't know that I would have been so quick to send them if they did not have a buddy.

Ds is different. I could send him anywhere for any length of time and he'd have lifelong buddies within hours. That's just the way he is.

I have a reserved 10 year old who would hate sleepaway camp. I have an outgoing 8 year old who would probably love it. They would go if a parent went as a counselor. I wouldn't personally be concerned with their homeschooled status because they do well in groups of peers. I would only send them if they are comfortable with going. My kids have had the opportunity to attend a church camp but have not wanted to go.