Menu

Couponing??

Rosy

I've been wondering about this for a long time and thought the Hive probably knows...especially after seeing the thread on couponing.

Do any of you do this? What do you spend monthly on food, and what kinds of things do you get with the coupons? I've tried it before and found that my family doesn't use most of what you can get a deal on--Rice A Roni, prepared cereal, etc. Is there a way to get fresh or frozen produce, meat, etc. for pennies on the dollar? I'd love to hear your experiences!

Well I coupon and don't use much prepackaged stuff.

Right now I have 20 tubes of crest and colgate toothpaste----freew/coupon

5 deodorant---------------free

fem hygeine stuff ---under a dollar a package

6 1/2 gallons of almond milk 1.00each

6 foils of tuna free

4 cans of evap milk .20each

9 boxes of kleenex .75 each

lg box of oats under 2.00

6 banquet cherry pies ------ free

6 mintos gum------free

Clip the coupons for stuff you use or might use (not the brand, the item)

wait for a sale and then use the coupon.

for instance a crest toothpaste .50 coupon, doubled to a dollar combined with a 10/$10 = free. I use all the coupons I have and get as many as I can. My neighbor gives me her unwanted coupons and they sometimes come twice a week. My paper costs 3.50 a month---deal!!

I don't cut out for stuff I don't ever buy (diapers) but I do for something I might buy (canned chili) if I get it free or it will make a 10 item deal for me. For instance my store frequently has a 10 item minimum to get the sale price, so I will buy a cheap item to make up the 10th item.

There is a good book $5 dinner mom.

this explains better than I can, but even if you think you don't use the stuff on the coupon, try it for a couple of months (3-4) and see if you don't find yourself using them.

Lara

Well I coupon and don't use much prepackaged stuff.

Right now I have 20 tubes of crest and colgate toothpaste----freew/coupon

5 deodorant---------------free

fem hygeine stuff ---under a dollar a package

6 1/2 gallons of almond milk 1.00each

6 foils of tuna free

4 cans of evap milk .20each

9 boxes of kleenex .75 each

lg box of oats under 2.00

6 banquet cherry pies ------ free

6 mintos gum------free

Clip the coupons for stuff you use or might use (not the brand, the item)

wait for a sale and then use the coupon.

for instance a crest toothpaste .50 coupon, doubled to a dollar combined with a 10/$10 = free. I use all the coupons I have and get as many as I can. My neighbor gives me her unwanted coupons and they sometimes come twice a week. My paper costs 3.50 a month---deal!!

I don't cut out for stuff I don't ever buy (diapers) but I do for something I might buy (canned chili) if I get it free or it will make a 10 item deal for me. For instance my store frequently has a 10 item minimum to get the sale price, so I will buy a cheap item to make up the 10th item.

There is a good book $5 dinner mom.

this explains better than I can, but even if you think you don't use the stuff on the coupon, try it for a couple of months (3-4) and see if you don't find yourself using them.

Lara

We just watched the TLC show, Extreme Couponing, tonight. We were shocked to see the savings by coupons but very put off by the "hoarding" of items like deodorant, toothpaste, juice bottles, pasta, and more than a family could reasonably use in 1-2 years.

I shop at Aldi which doesn't do coupons. But am curious to the idea of coupons for TP and stuff. (But then again, we shop at the Dollar Store for TP, paper towels, Dish detergent, and so on. LOL I've never bought name brand items at a regular store for close to 2 years now.)

Edited by tex-mex

We just watched the TLC show, Extreme Couponing, tonight. We were shocked to see the savings by coupons but very put off by the "hoarding" of items like deodorant, toothpaste, juice bottles, pasta, and more than a family could reasonably use in 1-2 years.

I shop at Aldi which doesn't do coupons. But am curious to the idea of coupons for TP and stuff. (But then again, we shop at the Dollar Store for TP, paper towels, Dish detergent, and so on. LOL I've never bought name brand items at a regular store for close to 2 years now.)

Maybe they donate the excess to a personal needs or food pantry. One of my neighbors does this. She lives on a fixed income. Whenever there is a buy one, get one offer on non-perishables that she uses, she gives the extra one away. She uses coupons from the local paper, but does not actively seek others.

I use Grocery Game. Matching sales with coupons. I don't hoard - just buy enough for us to use so we don't need to pay full price. I also give a LOT away.

I have saved at least $300.00 a month (plus, have a little store and rarely run out of anything and RARELY pay full price for anything) and have been using this online service for almost 2 years. It is time consuming - my little part time job, but it's definitely worth it. I don't buy junk. I have actually cut my 'normal' grocery shopping down so much that I am able to shop Trader Joe's and Sprouts here freely. This savings is with more healthy eating and cooking!

I used to coupon much more than I do now. I joined coupon trains and gathered coupons any way I could. The trick is to combine coupons with sales. You can find many coupons online if your stores will accept them. I like mambosprouts for organic items. You also have to know how much you use. I gathered too much toothpaste, forgot how much I had, and some of it spoiled. I stopped when I realized that I was actually spending much more time in the stores trying to get these bargains than I did before couponing. The more time in the store=more money spent on stuff that I really didn't need or could have waited to buy.