Menu

making timeline(s) - ideas for how-to?

wapiti

I'd like to hear the different sorts of things I'm sure you creative folks have done, to help me figure out what I'd like to have dd9 do (she will be reading SOTW). We don't have a lot of wall space that's available for long-term timeline hanging, so I'm thinking of something I'd put in a binder. Maybe something on the computer, where she could put in dates and facts, and then print it out, might be even better - perhaps I could set up some sort of spreadsheet?

Thanks for sharing any ideas!! :)

ETA: I changed my search criteria and came up with a lot more threads discussing this, so nevermind :)

Edited by wapiti

How about an art sketch book to use for a timeline?

Here are some ideas that can be tailored to your views:

http://donnayoung.org/history/timeline-cw.htm

http://www.learningthroughhistory.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HT-05&Category_Code=HT

This site has free clip art of famous people that can be printed out in different sizes. I have not tried it yey but they seem to have tons of people from history:D

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/sitemap/famous_people.php

I printed this free one:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/timeline.html

And put it in a binder with sheet protectors for my daughter (7).

She LOVES IT! She is always looking for more things to put on it, books we can read so we can add figures etc.

This is a pretty simple solution. We use the timeline figures from HSITW, because it saves a lot of time looking for art, but maybe your children would enjoy drawing their own? :)

By the way, I procrastinated FOREVER before I did this because I couldn't figure it out, but this is easy to do!

We bought the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures on CD and then used their site for timeline suggestions. We are using TOG Year 1 and SOTW Vol 1 this year but I only made a timeline for SOTW. Here's a link to the Homeschool in the Woods tips and suggestions on timelines. We own the Timeline Creator software also but I decided to leave that for a later date when my son is older and can get more involved:

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/

I made my son a SOTW notebook and put the timeline in the back. I made the pages from orange cardstock like the Vol 1 book and followed the suggestions for the horizontal notebook timeline in the link I just attached. Here are some pics of ours.

SOTW notebook:

[ATTACH]4131[/ATTACH]

SOTW timeline:

[ATTACH]4132[/ATTACH]

Adrian working on his timeline:

[ATTACH]4136[/ATTACH]

We have a strip of blue painter's tape up on the wall in our hallway with the centuries marked off. We also have a world map up in the same stretch of hallway. Then we've gotten pictures off of a Google Image search and printed them out and put larger versions around the timeline and smaller images on the map.

It's actually a pretty short stretch of hallway (about 7 feet) so from 6000 BCE to 2000 CE the centuries are very close together. It's mostly to get a "feel" for what-happened-when, but it's been a lot more useful in this small version than the multi-page timeline we had last year was, even for me. It's fun to see the little pictures stack up on the wall higher and higher as we move along in history.

Have fun!

We bought the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures on CD and then used their site for timeline suggestions. We are using TOG Year 1 and SOTW Vol 1 this year but I only made a timeline for SOTW. Here's a link to the Homeschool in the Woods tips and suggestions on timelines. We own the Timeline Creator software also but I decided to leave that for a later date when my son is older and can get more involved:

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/

I made my son a SOTW notebook and put the timeline in the back. I made the pages from orange cardstock like the Vol 1 book and followed the suggestions for the horizontal notebook timeline in the link I just attached. Here are some pics of ours.

SOTW notebook:

[ATTACH]4131[/ATTACH]

SOTW timeline:

[ATTACH]4132[/ATTACH]

Adrian working on his timeline:

[ATTACH]4136[/ATTACH]

I LOVE this! Do you have a template for the pages that you printed?

Thanks,

Angela

I LOVE this! Do you have a template for the pages that you printed?

Thanks,

Angela

[ATTACH]4157[/ATTACH]

The file was too big and I was only able to attach it as a zipped file. I tested it and If you save it to your computer and open it from there it should work. All you have to do after that is change the time period and print. I only made one template (the one attached here) and changed the years on it while printing. If you have any problems send me your e-mail address via PM and I can e-mail it to you :).

I printed ours on orange cardstock as I mentioned before. The beauty of this format is that you can put it on the floor and spread it out overlapping the pages for a certain time period you may want to see. You could even put it on the wall. It is very flexible. This is why I chose it :). I followed the tips and suggestions and sample from the Homeschool in the Woods website that I linked previously, and I also followed the years as they are listed in their site (for the time period that SOTW Vol 1 covers). HTH

I have just finished making a poster timeline, as we don't have space for a long wall timeline. I got the idea from the Mark-It Timeline of History. Mine is slightly different in that I have made the line "snake" so that it reads left to right and right to left on alternate lines. I have prehistory at the top (undated with dotted lines), and modern history at the bottom, with the space between lines wider for modern history, as I assume we'll have more to fill in. I plan to have the timeline printed out on the largest paper possible, and then have it laminated.

Nikki

[ATTACH]4157[/ATTACH]

The file was too big and I was only able to attach it as a zipped file. I tested it and If you save it to your computer and open it from there it should work. All you have to do after that is change the time period and print. I only made one template (the one attached here) and changed the years on it while printing. If you have any problems send me your e-mail address via PM and I can e-mail it to you :).

I printed ours on orange cardstock as I mentioned before. The beauty of this format is that you can put it on the floor and spread it out overlapping the pages for a certain time period you may want to see. You could even put it on the wall. It is very flexible. This is why I chose it :). I followed the tips and suggestions and sample from the Homeschool in the Woods website that I linked previously, and I also followed the years as they are listed in their site (for the time period that SOTW Vol 1 covers). HTH

Thanks! That worked great.

Blessings,

Angela

Thank you so much for this!! DD and I wanted a timeline with lines that we could print, and we were just looking at the Homeschool in the Woods cd. Now, I don't have to order it (with money I don't have). What a blessing.

Glad it works for you and is saving you money. Their CD does include the Suggested Placement Guide but I didn't bother buying that either. I figured I had already paid plenty for the timeline figure CD's :tongue_smilie:, the rest I just did on my own. I made the notebook cover using images from the web. Have fun :)!

Thanks for all the great ideas and links!!!!

I really like the idea of finding clip art, etc. on-line - I think the pictures will go a long way with my visual learner. DD9 loves to search for images on the computer.

At this point, I'm planning on a simple excel spreadsheet, where one row is a color (the timeline) and we'll add dates, facts and images from there. Then we'll print out sections periodically and put them in a binder.

Thanks for all the great ideas and links!!!!

I really like the idea of finding clip art, etc. on-line - I think the pictures will go a long way with my visual learner. DD9 loves to search for images on the computer.

At this point, I'm planning on a simple excel spreadsheet, where one row is a color (the timeline) and we'll add dates, facts and images from there. Then we'll print out sections periodically and put them in a binder.

The website that was linked previously has tons more clip art than just famous people. Here's a link to their Homepage. Just click on a category and go from there :). There's an American History category and the one called Countries and Regions has tons on Ancient History and more.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/

What you are doing I will be doing in the future with my son (probably after our fist cycle through history) with the Easy Timeline Creator:

http://www.timelinecreator.com/

I purchased it to use this year but decided to save it for later, when my son can work on it on his own. The software is also sold by Rainbow Resource. That's were we bought it from.

Have fun :)!